Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

Bi-Colored Bunny

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by AndrewP:

I love the way rabbit works in the water, and have been tying bunny flies for quite a while. They work well, and I've caught loads of fish on a simple all-white bunny fly.

I have been thinking about a simple way to add a second color. Finally sat down at the vice and created these ..... I'm sure there are some other color combinations that would work well too (black/purple, chartreuse/white for example).

The flies are easy and fast to tie.

Enjoy ... :)

Bi-Colored Bunny

post-22556-1248890453_thumb.jpg

Nice, I have to learn how to tie the strips off up the shank, mine always seem to bunch up the bunny fur... :wacko:

Andrew nice stuff! I've really gotten into the rabbit as well. Once you work out the specifications to keep the tail from fouling, they work great with lots of action. I've been doing mine with a short spun deerhair head for a little more bulk.

great looking flies. :headbang: I have also had alot of luck on bunny flies in saltwater usually in all white, but I really like the way you do the 2 tones Matuka style. A chartreuse over white or electric chicken would be deadly.

Andrew nice stuff! I've really gotten into the rabbit as well. Once you work out the specifications to keep the tail from fouling, they work great with lots of action. I've been doing mine with a short spun deerhair head for a little more bulk.

Tie in a piece of 20# mono extending 1.5-2" back from curve of the hook before you tie in your zonker strip.

1. lay base of thread.

2. fold mono in half tie in above the curve so that the folded part extends past the curve about 1.5 - 2" then snip the fold area, then tie in your zonker strip on top of the mono.

this will help keep it away from the hook area by holding it up

hope that helps

Those are great! Thanks for the step by step! I am putting this on my list!

Have never fished or tied a bunny fly...Things are about to change.

Have added your pattern to my list, great looking fly.

Wow what a neat tie. Looks like a blue gill type shape. I'm going to tie it on a jig hook with cone head. I'll just poke a hole for the top strip and be all set. Thanks. SU