Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scud

Parachute Posts

I was wondering what color posts does everyone tie in. I use white mostly but I will tie in some black for glare situations and some Orange for darker times.

Does anybody think that the bright colors will scare fish?

Jeremy

Hi, Jeremy. Personally, I use white mostly, but I do use yellow polypro quite a bit for the visibility.

As far as whether or not bright colors spook fish...I don't think so. But then who knows how many

more fish I would've tricked had I been using a darker more natural color. I know a lot of very

experienced anglers use loud bright post.

Mike

Hi, Jeremy. Personally, I use white mostly, but I do use yellow polypro quite a bit for the visibility.

As far as whether or not bright colors spook fish...I don't think so. But then who knows how many

more fish I would've tricked had I been using a darker more natural color. I know a lot of very

experienced anglers use loud bright post.

Mike

The late, great George Harvey advocated the use of fluorescent orange wings on his dries as he got older. Said it didn't put the fish off one whit. Don't know if I'm bold enough to try that yet, though!

Chuck

Thanks, I didn't think so. I love florescent orange for low light.

Jeremy

Fish don't see the post, they may pick up the reflection, but I use many colors even neon ones. I tend towards a bigger fly 18 inches from a realistically tied dropper, it soothes my fragile ego.

Cheers, Futzer.

I have used all types of foam and floss reallly anything I can see good I will put on there. I will even tie up a few with pink and then the same fly with a more natural color of foam.

I would just use what color you want and what is easy for you to see.

I just make sure the post isnt as wide as the fly it self and I leave the post alittle long till I get to the water and then I can trim to fit were I will be fishing.

Hope this helps.

Chance

Sometimes I'll incorporate a couple strands of pearl Krystal Flash into a yarn wing. The bit of sparkle can help me spot a small fly a little better, and the trout haven't given me a "fins down" vote yet.

Chuck

Thanks to everyone. I haven't had much problems but I wanted others opinions.

Jeremy

I think that colour doesn't matter. I don't see any difference between fl. yellow and white. But i still use white because it makes bigger contrast with dark water than yellow.

Ever since I hit the big 2-5, I've had to adjust my colors when tying parachutes. I guess that's the price to pay for being older and wiser.

For the sake of convenience, I bought some fluo. orange foam posts, and the rainbows at East Lake didn't mind. Guess I'll stick with them.

I tend to stay away from bright-colored posts, only in attempting to present a more natural imitation. I use mostly light dun or medium dun, or mallard flank, etc. for parachute posts to more closely match the naturals.

Of course, on the smaller sizes, like BWO's I have only a vague idea where my fly is out on the water, so if I see a take in the general vicinity, I set the hook.

Kind of a balance-thing going on there... if seeing the fish take your fly gets you more hook-ups, use materials you can see; if you do better "winging" it as I do, use post colors that match the naturals' wings.

Thanks to everyone for posting. I've been using white, light green and orange. They look cool in the box.

Jeremy