Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Ever been skunked...

No fish Monday. I took the day to try some new steelhead water that I had never fished. Not the easiest access and it took me longer than I thought to get where I was going. It is not far from home and if I had wings I could be there in about 30 minutes but being limited to vehicle travel almost 2.5 hours. Between the longer drive and a gorgeous day I had about 2 hours to fish without a bite. However, I came home satisfied. Fish are very nice but sometimes it really is about the adventure. Thought I would share a couple snapshots.

This is a rugged area. The river is relatively short and flows out from a high elevation wilderness through a section of ranch land and into this canyon. From the last photo it is about 5 miles to the Snake River Hell's Canyon area between Oregon and Idaho. Wanna get away from the crowded waters? There are record returns of steelhead this year on this river (just not my day Monday) and in the spring, Chinook salmon make their way to the headwaters.

post-13329-1258648902_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258648940_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258648968_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258648997_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258649047_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258649071_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258649133_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258649165_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1258649193_thumb.jpg

Great pics thanks for sharing. I have been skunked too many times to count and as long as i learn something or discover a new spot that may pay off next time it's an investment for the future and always rewarding. Were not that far apart and share similiar landscapes. Have you ever been to BC? I've been through Oregon several times but never fished unfortunately.

Thanks guys, it was an oddly beautiful day hitting about 60 degrees. It hasn't been getting up to 40 degrees for weeks.

5 weight - I have been to Vancouver a few times just to visit not to fish though. A previous club I was in goes to the Kamloops area every year for a week to fish and stays at Leighton Lake then sprawls out from there for day trips. It is always a great time.

Carl

I know exactly what you mean. I have 2 hopes when I go fishing...

1. I don't want to see any people (except my fishing buddies of course) and

2. Hopefully I can figure out the fish, but if not then at least I didn't have to see any people.

I have spent days away from my pager (aka my leash) where I didn't catch anything, but I was so happy to be away from my pager that I left home I didn't even care if I saw a fish. It helps that I fish in such beautiful country. I was in your neck of the woods this summer and I don't live around anything that beautiful, but it is close here in Colorado and so yes I have been fulfilled on even the poorest of fishing trips because hey I went fishing.

C

That's absolutely breathtaking. Thanks for sharing! I just had a day like that on saturday where the weather was awesome, the river was gorgeous but no fish came to hand. That's fishing right?

With country like that, I'd have to agree with ya....the catching aint everything...

no doubt! you'd have to really try hard not to enjoy a day like that! beautiful!

and i'm going to work now... :wallbash:

thanks for sharing Old Hat,

clarkii.