Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yeoldkiller

help with winter flies

i would like to know some good patterns for winter fly fishing for bass,muskey ,bluegill and trout if u have any suggestions on more flies i should use let me know

i just posted a wicked city patern "Calgary Killer caddis" we use it 24/7 they just get smaller. Its a caddis that makes its home out of city debris in the river and small midges red or black have been KILLEr for me the last few weekends.

Just trout, no good bass in this area

The South Platte Brassie is an excellent winter pattern. Also any Midge larvae pattern. Tie some Fuzz Balls, simply a TINY bit of fuzz on a hook. They work well for midge larvae. I tie these in sizes 20 and 22 on the TMC 200 hook in orange, red, black and olive. Orange seems to be best. NO tails no legs, nothing but dubbing.

When it gets really cold the fish over here stop rising and I have to use a deep nymphing rig. Usually this is a tandem of beadheads - a small size #20 or so on dropper to actually catch fish and a sacrificial "anchor" on point to get the thing down. The anchor is usually size #10 with a monstrous tungsten bead, its size ruling out any fancy casting - you are basically stuck with short lining, though it it theoretically possible to fish it below an indicator.