Fly Tying
stream

hackle's

I am new to tying and trying to get myself set up, But I am having a hard time with all the hackle's and such's.

I need to know which hackle 's for making plamer's on some of my fly's. And which's hackles for wet and dry and nymph's. I am sort of on the keep it simple for me till i get the hang of it. But i am open to all suggestion and help i can get

In general, you use chicken rooster (cock) feathers for dry flies. Cock neck (cape) is good for collar hackles and the feathers are usually (but not always) long enough to palmer. The big advantage of a neck is that you get a good range of sizes, from, say 4 to 24. Cock saddle feathers are longer than neck feathers and are very good for palmers, but also for collars. The problem is that a saddle will have a limited range of sizes, such as 10-14 or 12-16.

For wet flies and nymphs you have many more choices. For a new tyer I would recommend chicken hen neck. You won't regret buying a good genetic hen neck or two (Whiting or Metz for example.) Traditionally, game bird feathers were used for wet flies: duck (all species), grouse, partridge, snipe, woodcock, moorhen... and many more. You probably know some of the patterns based on these feathers. Then there is starling! One of my favourites. The skins are inexpensive and there are many feathers you can use to tye spiders and other soft hackle flies. The other advantage of owning a game bird skin is that you will have the wing primaries and secondaries to make wings for both wet and dry flies.

I hope that some of this info helps.

Whiting is offering some new introductory packs that have four half capes or four half saddles to give you a versatile color range to start. I think they are selling for about $65 per pack. Those are hackles for dry flys. What kind of flies are you planning to start with?

Whiting is offering some new introductory packs that have four half capes or four half saddles to give you a versatile color range to start. I think they are selling for about $65 per pack. Those are hackles for dry flys. What kind of flies are you planning to start with?

Mostly intersested in wet lile nymphs and woolybugger's and insect pattern's like Joe's hopper and such subsurface pattern's.

Thank you for the information, I do like gettin ginformation more from ppl that do tie then just from what i can get on line

For wooly buggers, either long strung saddle feathers for very little money, or bugger packs, and for nymphs, traditional soft hackle such as hen capes, partridge, and others. You can use dry fly hackle for some wet applications, but it has less movement.