Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

Frog Popper

FishyboY

Overall I dont think this guy is awful. I would suggest that next time you try not to cover the eye with paint. Been there and done that and it is a pain to work around. Does the body have glitter on it? Also maybe next time if the fly is big enough, try some stick on eyes until you can get them painted in a decent way. Hope this helps some what.

smokinprice-

It is really hard not to get the eye covered with paint or epoxy.... usually i just take a pin or needle and push the stuff out... usually it all comes off the eye with the needle. The body does have glitter on it. The glitter is from glitter glue. If i had stick on eyes i would use them! I really wish i had some but for now i just have to paint the eyes on.

thanks for the comments.

My response to this fly is simple....its a popper. Meant for bass. Does it really matter what it looks like? I've fished far worse and caught plenty of fish. Just an opinion. I think the fly has lots of potential in subsequent ties.

gatorjoe-

have you ever herd of the famous popper tier walt cary. His flies are only avalible through brookside flies. http://brooksideflies.com/waltspoppers.php he does not tie the ones for brookside flies but he overseas the ones that they make to make sure they are of the best quality.....

anyways. I was listening to walt talk about making poppers in a seminar at a fly fishing show and he shows everyone this fly. It is a large popper. Just a cork body. not painted. bunch of holes, scrapes, cuts, nicks, grooves in it. and for the tail is some twine.... i am not even sure if he tied them on he may have glued them. Anyways so he says that this popper will catch more fish than any of the fancy painted ones he makes. He says the ones he paints and makes are to catch fishermen and not fish.

My point is that poppers don't have to look great to catch fish they dont even have to be painted! the important thing is that they move water and then the fish get annoyed and eat them!

Alright before this gets out of hand, I was only trying to help and give some help comments. Too often on forums such as these, all people ever say is boy that looks great. The key to improving is to try new things and to listen and learn. I was simply trying to help since I made a lot of mistakes and still do when making poppers. I am not perfect by any stretch. I was only trying to help.

You can use a small paint brush found at any craft store to paint your poppers. That is what I use. It takes practice and patience but I have learned not to gump up the eye of the hook.

Yes it will catch fish. I totally agree with that. We always need to remember that we only need to please them and not everyone else.

Again, sorry I was only trying to help.

Fishyboy... That was my point exactly. There are two species fly tiers have to catch, fisherman and fish. Fishermen are usually easier. But I will intentionally tie ugly flies that are quicker totie than their pretty cousins just to see where the boundary is. To be honest it's a lot more towards barely recognizable than most think.

Smokinprice... I realize you were trying to help and appreciate that. I also think you said what you said well and in a very constructive manner. I hope that when I post flies on here (which since I'm experimenting with some breakthrough patterns won't be often) that you will do the same for me. I've been tying less than a year, I'm still basically a beginner and I know there are many places I can and should improve. I too get a little tired of everyone saying good job. My point was not toward you but toward the conversation in general. I hope you understand.