Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

Fare Thee Well Fred Pelkey

Fred Pelkey(aka Sturgeon Catcher) of Bend. Oregon passed last night around 5:30PM Pacific time. I met through Fred through this forum. I know others in here got to meet Fred during his great fly fishing road trip he took to many states a few years ago. I remember his fly tying and fly fishing equipped Itasca camper that took him to so many places to fly fish.

Fly tying was Fred's sanity...he suffered from the negative effects of Agent Orange which he was exposed to during his tour in Vietnam. Fred and I had a great long distance friendship that revolved around discussing fly tying and its literature.

Maybe some of you on the West Coast got to see him out there with his companion dog on his drift boat? I know Mike Schmidt got to see him on my home river the Housatonic...how about all those materials he was packing Mike.

I called him up to say goodbye while he was in hospice a few days ago and he told me "don't you worry about a thing Mr. John"

Thanks to this forum for bringing Fred to me...it was the best thing for me that ever happened here.

My condolences to his wife, son and all other family members.

Fare thee well Fred....see you on the other side.

Never had the opportunity to meet Fred but I enjoyed his stories and shared some email discussions with him. Sad to hear about his passing and my condolences to his family and all that knew him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend...it was good that you had the chance to speak to him in Hospice, I'm sure it gave him some peace.....take a deep breath & cherish the memories & put that first Housy Trout in the net for him. Condolences to his family & friends & all those who new of him

I am sorry to hear about the loss of a friend to so many people here, and especially to you John. I am sure you will find a lot of joy in the memories you have, and that is a blessing he leaves behind for you. We should all strive to be a friend like that to others.

Sorry to hear of Fred's passing. Please include my sincere condolences to his family and friends. I am grateful for his service to our country and his participation in this forum.

I was sorry to hear about Fred's passing. He was truly a character and a very generous man. And man was that van a moving fly shop...I sat there for an hour and could not name a material he couldn't produce in multiple colors on the spot.

I had the pleasure to meet Fred. We had many conversations before and after he came here. He came here and my son and I took him to the North Branch Potomac River and the Savage River. I knew that Agent Orange was taking a huge toll on his life. He could take anything and make a fly out of it. He was a great guy. Anyone that meet him knew that. Rest in Peace.

your friend kevin.........