Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
maddog48

Painting chipped Tungsten beads ..

I have a bunch of hot colors .. pink, red, orange, chartreuse and a few more .. tungsten beads. They are chipping when they bounce off the rocks and the river bottom. Sharpies don't work on the tungsten. Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair them?

Mike

Hey, they're supposed to do that! It means you are fishing them right!

But try enamel paint. Same enamel you would use for finishing a head will work... make sure the bead is clean first... rubbing alcohol would do it. If you are after the hot colors, you might need to raid the junior section of the nail polish at a fashion department.

I found some old Prismacolor markers I forgot I had. They seem to work okay. I've got plenty of beads so I don't really need to worry too much. But it's nice to find something that works if someone else may have a question about this.

Mike

I am a great fan of nail polish - the color spectrum is amazing, especially ones targetted on the so called alternative scene, such as young people of Heavy Metal inclination, or the hot pink colors for Barbie doll wannabees - but it does not stick very well on metal.

Lazy as I am I fish a lot of very worn beadheads, the fish seem not to be as fussy as the fisherman ;-)

J.

Yeah I tied some ice jigs up with MFC lucent tungsten beads and the color came off after a couple uses. Probably wont be using any more of the lucent colors from MFC.