Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlySlinger

This Fly is a Bad Dude

Hi Guys a Couple Weeks Ago I made a post on Humpys...Mark a member here on the forum.. Made a Request for me to make a Humpy with legs...Well I took up the Gauntlet not knowing how Much real trouble would be involved...

or what was being thrown Into the game...Well I Just got done....Try and set those legs on this fly.....hmmm boy and don't buy the legs From Montana Fly I bought 3 Packs three different colors because the spots will come off when you handle Them no matter how careful you are....I am have some photo's for you hope you don't mind....I Hope Like these Kareston.....LOL

FlySlinger

DSCF5301-1.jpg

DSCF5302-1.jpg

DSCF5274-1.jpg

DSCF5303-1.jpg

Heya Frank,

That's one serious looking humpy with legs and all.

You've done a great job buddy, there's a lot to tame on that fly and somehow you've done it! :thumbsup:

Glad your vise is back in action.

Karsten

A pretty fly indeed. I am very curious how it will perform on the water - will the little fishes be intrigued or scared by the wobbly legs? That is the $1000 question!

Cheers!

J.

Heya Frank,

That's one serious looking humpy with legs and all.

You've done a great job buddy, there's a lot to tame on that fly and somehow you've done it! :thumbsup:

Glad your vise is back in action.

Karsten

For those Fly tyers that are interested...I Have a long history of tying Dry Fly's of many types and there is A Set of Challenges that I Had to Conquer Here ...First the Challenges that Beset me with the regular Humpy..An now the The Challenges that Had Fallen in my lap with the Faulty Montana Fly Legs....This has to be one of the Toughest Dry Fly's I have ever done....Not the toughest Fly. The Messenger Frog was the Toughest Fly....This Fly was not Done all Charlie Craven Style I varied from that...

FlySlinger

wow that is a really good idea.... wonder what an adams would be like with legs?

How dare you speak abominations like that! :nono: The great and almighty Halfordian storm troopers are ready and waiting for the order to attack! :gunsmilie: :gun_bandana: An Adams with rubber legs! Blasphemy!!! :devil: The next thing your going to tell me is that you plan on using synthetics and unnatural materials to tye with!!!! Forbid forbid! Everyone knows you gotta use dead birds and critters to tye dry flies!! :poop: :bs: LOL just kidding.

On a serious note Nice job with the rubber legs. You know I have had the same problem with all of m bi-colored rubber legs. As soon as you stretch 'em and man handle 'em the darker band disappears. i just thought that it was the norm and use a fine tipped sharpy to replace the stripes that had disappeared. What I'd like to know is if you have a formula for the proportions of the legs. Is there a rule you go by or is it about the aesthetic?

wow that is a really good idea.... wonder what an adams would be like with legs?

How dare you speak abominations like that! :nono: The great and almighty Halfordian storm troopers are ready and waiting for the order to attack! :gunsmilie: :gun_bandana: An Adams with rubber legs! Blasphemy!!! :devil: The next thing your going to tell me is that you plan on using synthetics and unnatural materials to tye with!!!! Forbid forbid! Everyone knows you gotta use dead birds and critters to tye dry flies!! :poop: :bs: LOL just kidding.

Ssshhh... You know the Order of Halford requires complete secrecy.

Hi Guys,, I have been thinking about what you said...Rubber legs on a Adams might look good...It would have to be on the right size of adams....it would have to be between a #12 and a #16 I think any thing any thing smaller the Legs might look to big....I was thinking I might make one for you guys and Post it....Do you guys know of another Company that that the legs don't Bleed...These are Mini Bands with spots or Speckles....Well I am going to do it When I get the time... I am Tying Fly's to go fishing with....If you Guys no of any other company's that sell legs like these mini legs let me know..Ok

FlySlinger

I wonder if maybe you got a bad batch. I have never had a problem with those legs and I have been using them for years. However, if you are not happy with them I would try J. Stockard first. Then take a look at tying shops online like Feather Craft or Hook and Hackle. Hope that helps.

Hi Guys,, I have been thinking about what you said...Rubber legs on a Adams might look good...It would have to be on the right size of adams....it would have to be between a #12 and a #16 I think any thing any thing smaller the Legs might look to big....I was thinking I might make one for you guys and Post it....Do you guys know of another Company that that the legs don't Bleed...These are Mini Bands with spots or Speckles....Well I am going to do it When I get the time... I am Tying Fly's to go fishing with....If you Guys no of any other company's that sell legs like these mini legs let me know..Ok

FlySlinger

I have some micro legs that I could use to tye some rubber legged 18's or 20's if I tyed em on Tiemco 200bl's These things are small! I use em for legs on my nymphs, so why not a dry? Just have to add a few more hackle wraps, and some frogs fanny a little more often than normal

FlySlinger

I have some micro legs that I could use to tye some rubber legged 18's or 20's if I tyed em on Tiemco 200bl's These things are small! I use em for legs on my nymphs, so why not a dry? Just have to add a few more hackle wraps, and some frogs fanny a little more often than normal

FlySlinger

Hi guys I have been reading about what you say about a bad Batch....You know I went to cabela's to by these Mini Legs By Montana Fly Com. I bought three different packs of three different colors and they all Faded when the were handled.....I don't think these were a bad batch I these Legs are bad....I hope someone could Tell me where i could get the same size legs that don't Fade...I am going to take these back to Cabelas tomorrow..

FlySlinger