Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Boat Trailer Question

I'm going to pick up a boat this weekend and the trailer hasn't been used for a period of time. I plan to grease the wheel bearings and check out all the lights before bringing it home. Are there any other typical problems that anyone may be aware of that I should look for? Thanks for any input.

You're covering the greasing of the wheel bearings and the lights so I would say the tires could use a checking and if possible a spare wouldn't hurt. Also check the boat straps for dry rot and damage. Grease the crank too.

Marty,

If it's an older trailer, take a good look at the "U"bolts that hold the axle on the springs. It really sucks when they let go ohmy.gif

Tires may develop dry rot over time and lack of use; they may also develop flat spots in the belts from sitting in one spot over time and may not sound healthy over the road. It is generally assumed if the tire is in good condition otherwise, the belts will still be bonded and perform as expected.

Bearings should be spun and grease forced through bearing races before wheels hit the pavement loaded. There are no guarantees even if a wheel spins that the bearing isn't trash, especially in a salt environment. Et Cetera.

All good replies. But here's a big question. Is it a galvanized frame, or just standard tubular steel? If it's not galvanized, take a hammer and tap your main cross brace behind the axle. You could have inside rust (even with drain hole). Trust me, you don't want that cross brace to snap going 65mph. LOL.

I can tell you from experience that losing a bearing on the road is no good! I did a number on mine by not checking it in time wallbash.gif

Best of luck with it!