Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
artimus

Mr. Cheap

No I wasn't garbage hunting again! biggrin.gif

One of the great things that I learned from my dad and step mom(and this came as a total surprise to me!!!), was to check out the thrift stores. It started when the wife and I went to visit them a few years back. At the time my monitor was fried and my dad got this twinkle in his eye and said 'follow me'. W ran the curcuit that day(Value Village, Goodwill etc), and found many great treasures, including some nice sable and chinchilla for fly tying. The gem of the day was a computer monitor or $8. I was sold and ever since then every now and then I'll slide into a thrft store just to take a boo.

The other day was one of those pay dirt days. I found this forest green rain shell , the company name is TEK DOKTER??, but my eyes bugged out when I looked inside. Bonded to the outer shell was 'white' stuff. Jackpot, a waterproof membrane!!! Checked the label...yup 'Entrant GII'. A little bit of seam sealing on my part, and I will have a great jacket for those crappy days. total price.... $9. Thank you very much.

As well at this store I've seen for outerwear...Far West, Patigonia(sp), North Face, Rip Zone etc.....

Art

That's one of the charming things about Canadians, they're errr, Thrifty. Florida waitresses have another word for them, though. j_k.gif

Carl, I knew that there was a major label that used that fabric. Like I said, a great score. I'll 'model' it during our steelie outing.

Thriftiness starts at an early age. I have balls, and you can call me cheap!! How do you figure that we can send half the year in Flordia? Are you talking about those blue hairs that you can see a mile away. You know; white shoes with matching belt, pants pulled up to your nipples.....wait isn't that what you wear to the early bird? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif j_k.gif

Art