Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

check this fly out!!!

Id cast that on a 6 wt all day long. But Id tie it a HELL of a lot lighter! 1 use synthetic dubbing it dosent absorb water. 2 Do the bunny fur body in a loop and forget the skin. And 3rd loose the lead eyes and go for aluminium sea eyes. But I ask why do a tail like this? Honestly will this tail out fish a barred zonker tail? Nope.

good point day5 i think i will tie your version. :thumbup:. hey day5 were do you get your barred zonker tails?

good point day5 i think i will tie your version. :thumbup:. hey day5 were do you get your barred zonker tails?

Hareline

post-2608-1276683545.jpg

Id cast that on a 6 wt all day long. But Id tie it a HELL of a lot lighter! 1 use synthetic dubbing it dosent absorb water. 2 Do the bunny fur body in a loop and forget the skin. And 3rd loose the lead eyes and go for aluminium sea eyes. But I ask why do a tail like this? Honestly will this tail out fish a barred zonker tail? Nope.

Good call Day5... I used synthetic dubbing on the ones i tied, but didn't consider doing the rabbit in a loop. I've gone both ways with the eyes... If I'm fishing this fly on the bottom, mimicking a crayfish, the aluminium eyes are far more realistic. When crayfish swim, they glide back down to the bottom, they don't drop straight down. That being said, if I'm fishing weed edges and structure I'll work this fly like flippin' a jig and pig... the heavy eyes really make this style of presentation come to life

I also tide some small ones up in a #6, using pine squirrel strips... they slay carp!