Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjforsyt

Extended Bodies

I'm starting to tie extended bodies for flies and I have been using a needle in a Regal non-rotating vise. I have tried bucktail and foam and they are not giving me the smaller body that I see in my local fly shop. When I do make the body and try to get it off the needle I often lose the body or it is not as tight as it was on the needle. I'm wondering how others make their bodies and how they make one with dubbing?

hey cj,

if you are looking for a video davie mcphail (i think i spelled that right), on youtube he has a very good technique using foam for the extended body. also if you want a cool way to make hollow bodies with dubbing check out the NOR-vise on youtube as well he usses a needle but no thread and just spins antron on to the needle then cements the noodle and you got an extended hollow body..

check them out and show us what you come up with...

For small bodies. Wax your needle. Attach thread and place micro fibbet tails along the needle building a smooth thread base. End with your thread at the base of the tails. Dub your thread. Place a small amount of superglue along the thread base. Dub the body and slide it off the hook before it dries. If you want a flat ribbed effect, squeeze the body with hemostats before it dries. You can make mayfly or caddis bodies this way. Just cut the microfibbets off after making the body. You still need the microfibbets tied in though to give lateral strength to the body.