Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokinprice

You never know who maybe lurking

You never know who maybe lurking and waiting to smash your fly.....

Looks like a fallfish.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/fallfish.html

That's what they are called in WV. They frustrate me, they hit and fight just like a trout, and all they are is a giant chub! I was swinging a #4 olive bugger in a large stream on my last trip there, got smashed, thought I had a solid trout...and it was about a 15" fallfish! :wallbash:

You never know who maybe lurking and waiting to smash your fly.....

Looks like a fallfish.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/fallfish.html

That's what they are called in WV. They frustrate me, they hit and fight just like a trout, and all they are is a giant chub! I was swinging a #4 olive bugger in a large stream on my last trip there, got smashed, thought I had a solid trout...and it was about a 15" fallfish! :wallbash:

WV is where I picked up this guy. They are also called that in VA and MD as well. They do hit hard. I dont mind catching them really

caught several of these in the lower Yellow Breeches yesterday, the biggest was 14" long. Not Smallmouths or Trout, but in some places people would consider them a trophy I'm sure! Yesterday they hit a squirrel-tail streamer, but I've caught them on all kinds of things.

Was going to take a trip up there to the Yellow Breeches soon. I was thinking of going around the Carisle area. Amazing what they hit on. I have had them hit poppers in the Monocacy and Shenandoah Rivers. I have also had them hti dry flies on some of my local trout streams.

bottom end of YB in New Cumberland is already down to 62 degrees. Water is low even with the recent rains. Fishing should be good up around Boiling Springs etc, but it does get hammered hard this time of year. I know there are some monster browns in areas that get ignored for most of the year.

That is a trophy chub! Occasionally, I will see them pod up and rise like trout on midges in my home river. They will eat waking flies when they're on top like that. Always a fun surprise!