Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big J

Brook Trout Flies

Any good suggestions on what Brook Trout will be biting on now that winter is approaching? Whatever patterns would be working would be nice

I just made a trip 2 weeks ago to WV to chase brookies and did well on small dries. I caught about half on a #16 Royal Wulff and the rest mostly on a #16 para Adams. When the fish are in slow flows and pools, I always do very well on a #20 Griffith's Gnat, too.

Photo213.jpg

tie the ones in the bottom right of the photo....the flies are pretty beaten up ..I'd make the tails look fuller. But the recipe is as follows

Hook: Size 16 scud hook

Thread: 8/0 uni-red

Bead: Copper

Tail/body: Med. White Chenille tapered at the end (san juan worm style)

Collar: Peachy-pink crosscut zonker strip

This pattern is nothing fancy but it clearly made a landmark difference in the brookies in Hat Creek CA. But even if you're in GA I know this pattern will work in the rivers and spring creeks especially in these colors....citing in particular the Soque, Toccoa and Chattahoochee rivers. hope this gives some help!

Side note: I also learned that GA trout go absolutely nuts for patterns with electric banana lite brite in them, usually stripped against the current or swinging had been the most effective for me....try it on your next zug bug or prince nymph as a hot spot and hold on!

i would slowly drift a tiny adams on top or drop some scuds or hare's ears into the riffles or breaks. You cant go wrong with scuds...