Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

My first Woven Fly

Wanted to try my hand at tying a woven fly. Here is my attempt.

post-19761-1289359116_thumb.jpg

post-19761-1289359125_thumb.jpg

not bad, need to work on the taper. Did you tie everything in at the rear? Tie everything at the front and lash it down all the way back to where you want to start you weave to avoid excess bulk at the rear.

not bad, need to work on the taper. Did you tie everything in at the rear? Tie everything at the front and lash it down all the way back to where you want to start you weave to avoid excess bulk at the rear.

I think I tied the thread in near the middle closer to the bend of the hook on this fly. I moved the thread closer to the eye on later flies that I tied last night. I also think I didn't tighten down the weave when I started out. My later ties look a bit tighter than this one.

I have found if I put a good thread base down before my weaving materials are tied down it helps. I also found once the thread base and parallel weaving materials are tied down, I put some super glue to keep the weaving material secure...no rocking from side to side as I weave back up from the hook bend towards the eye. So if you have put down a thread base and maybe bulked it up where necessary, then tied your weaving material in from the eye ( slightly back from the eye actually) down to the bend, half hitched your tying thread off and snipped, you will get the body shape you want... Sorry to get long winded...I think your fly looks great and they will only get better... :thumbsup:

Murray