Fly Tying
JohnP

Ray Bergman swap

Flies should be arriving Monday with any luck. Salmonid I'm not sure I could tie on a Size 6 hook, large flies give me fits when I'm tying.

Flies should be arriving Monday with any luck. Salmonid I'm not sure I could tie on a Size 6 hook, large flies give me fits when I'm tying.

OK. I'll keep my peepers peeled.

I'm with you Rich... I would much rather tie a #18 parachute BWO than a size 6 anything. The majority of my flies are size 12-20 and I cut more materails off size 4-10 hooks than any other hook.

C

Turns out I can't tie on a size 6 very well, either. But that's about the smallest size the Blue Jay scapular feathers trim down to without losing their pattern. This is definitely a display type pattern in today's era as opposed to a serious fishing pattern.

Some don't consider the size 30s I tied for the last swap a serious fishing pattern though, either. :crying:

John and everyone else.

I know that time is getting short so I thought I would give you a progress report.

I finally got all my materials and have had some time to make enough mistakes :wallbash: and build a big pile of debris below my vice.

Its amazing how difficult it gets when you work on a simple pattern and have to nail all the proportions and everything shows!!

And things are starting to come together!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Attached is the current version of the fly. (And yes I did get the wrong side out on the tinsel... but things were just going so well I just couldn't pick up the razor blade!)

By the way these are on size 8's.

I also want to thank Don Bastion for some advice. I ran into a problem, shot him an e-mail and it took about an hour to get worked out!

Is this a great forum or what???

Any way to make a long story short, I will have the flies in the mail by the end of the week. So John, Addy please!

Thanks

Frank aka Student4evr

post-12269-1293430879_thumb.jpg

Just to give us all a little something to shoot for...

I was fortunate enough to out bid everyone at a fund-raising auction for a fly tied by Bud Guidry. He can be found at many places on the Flytyingforum. This is tied on a custom made 6/0 iron. A shipwright I know made the frame out of a single piece of cocabola to match the wing. The fly is about 4" long.

To get some idea of Bud's talent check out the following:

FeathersMC

Daily Fly Paper

Flyfishonline

Frank aka Syudent4evr

post-12269-1293433333_thumb.jpg

John and everyone else.

I know that time is getting short so I thought I would give you a progress report.

I finally got all my materials and have had some time to make enough mistakes :wallbash: and build a big pile of debris below my vice.

Its amazing how difficult it gets when you work on a simple pattern and have to nail all the proportions and everything shows!!

And things are starting to come together!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Attached is the current version of the fly. (And yes I did get the wrong side out on the tinsel... but things were just going so well I just couldn't pick up the razor blade!)

By the way these are on size 8's.

I also want to thank Don Bastion for some advice. I ran into a problem, shot him an e-mail and it took about an hour to get worked out!

Is this a great forum or what???

Any way to make a long story short, I will have the flies in the mail by the end of the week. So John, Addy please!

Thanks

Frank aka Student4evr

Addy sent

Sweet fly; Both your wet and the gorgeous Salmon Fly.

Curious where the auction site is to find one of Mr. Guidry's flies?

And REALLY curious what tip/s Don B gave on the wets.

I would describe my own efforts similarly to yours but lacking in similar eloquence :wallbash:

Still, I will have SOMETHING in the mail by priority by the due date.

There aren't enough Jay's, I tell ya!

If my records are correct, everyone in the swap with the exception of Deeky has either returned flies to me, put their flies in the mail or has my address. If that is not the case, please let me know.

John

Two sets of fantastic flies arrived today from Avril and Rich. :yahoo: Thank you both so much for the extras. I can't wait for trout season to get here so I can try them out. I have received some really awesome flies in this swap and I am looking forward to the remaining sets. Thanks to everybody for participating! :headbang:

My apologies for holding things up. For some reason I was thinking this was extended to the 15th and got distracted with FTOTY. But it's ok, I guess Dr. Oz says I have ADHD, so that explains it all. I have them done and will get them in the mail immediately.

Deeky

My apologies for holding things up. For some reason I was thinking this was extended to the 15th and got distracted with FTOTY. But it's ok, I guess Dr. Oz says I have ADHD, so that explains it all. I have them done and will get them in the mail immediately.

Deeky

No worries. Addy sent.

Happy New Year swappers. Today was the deadline day. At this point I have seven sets of flies in hand and have heard from everybody. Hopefully I will have all the flies by the end of the week.

A really terrific set of flies arrived today from Nealbo. :yahoo: Thanks for the extras. :headbang:

We're just four sets away from being done.