Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Bit of a Rant................

I sell to shops too. But I still need 15 an hour. And Umpqua is a great employer for its tiers.

The average for me per hour is 8 to 10 flies. But I can crank it up (on some patterns) to 14 If i get in a groove. My flies are all simple for the most part. I will often design a fly, test it, get it swimming properly and then start taking things out to simplify the tie.

What do you get from a shop for a standard dry fly???

Where is your local market?

Thanks

I sell to shops too. But I still need 15 an hour. And Umpqua is a great employer for its tiers.

The average for me per hour is 8 to 10 flies. But I can crank it up (on some patterns) to 14 If i get in a groove. My flies are all simple for the most part. I will often design a fly, test it, get it swimming properly and then start taking things out to simplify the tie.

Interesting. What do you get from the local shop for a standard dry fly???

Are you at a fly fishing destination location?

Thanks

Dry fly? I do not really fish poppers much so I do not tie them.

But for shops and guides I sell my streamers for 2 to 3 dollars each. Im in SW Michigan

Interesting. What do you get from the local shop for a standard dry fly???

Thanks

Post of the year!!! Day5 - dry fly!!!!!!! :hyst:

To "net" 15/hour, and tying 8-10/hour, you need to sell to the shop for $1.60 to $1.90 each. Do they pay you that much? Included just a little for supply costs.

To "net" 15/hour, and tying 8-10/hour, you need to sell to the shop for $1.75 to $2 each. Do they pay you that much? Included just a little for supply costs.

Yea, If they want my stuff then they pay 2 to 3 each that is shop guide pricing. And I know to the penny how much each fly costs me. So again I will not tie for less than 15 an hour. The good orders (when I accept them cause I hate tying them) are egg orders I can make 30$+ an hour tying eggs.

Sage it might not be so funny! I was considering tying some premade foam pencil poppers. But Im stuck with the placement of the blade, rattle and hotdog (flavor and scent)......