Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dezod

Trout Life Cycle Swap II

Last year I hosted a swap where the tyer tied a set of flies representing how they attacked a specific hatch. I learned more about how other people attack a hatch through their flies than through any other medium. I have also caught the three biggest fish and tied more flies to mimmic those swap flies than from any other swap. So needless to say I am hosting a second swap with the same rules.

Here are the rules:

The swap will be open to 5 tyers plus the SM. Each tyer will tie 20 flies, 5 of each style of fly throughout the life cycle. There must be four parts to your life cycle. So now that I have made that as clear as mud I will give you an example. Last year I tied a PMD life cycle that included a 1. Brown Copper John, 2. a PMD Cripple, 3. a Parachute PMD and finally 4. a PMD spinner. That is how I attack a hatch. There was a midge, caddis and 3 other mayfly life cycles. I am open to interpretation and creativity if someone is interested in some sort of terrestrial with a dry and a drowned, etc... but there must be 5 sets of four different flies representing different stages or presentations on trout water. You will not get a set of your flies back.

First 5 with I'm in get a spot, just let me know what your life cycle will represent, ie. caddis, midge, stonefly, etc...

Due Date March 4th, its the first Friday in March for 20 flies.

1. SJO- Sandfly

2. Crackleback- BWO

3. Rockworm- Midge

4. Old Hat- Grannom

5. Fly Fischa- ??

SM. Dezod Yellow Sally? (I might change)

I'm in, Sandfly is my theme (Ryacophila).

Grtzzz...

Sjo

Sorry

Yesterday was soooooo crazy at work. I am glad we have a couple of international tyers. Thanks for filling the swap so fast.

SJO is your sandworm (Ryacophila) a caseless caddis?

Crackleback LOVE the BWO, I usually tie them tiny (20-24), but never seem to not be able to get a fish up.

Old Hat Glad to have you and your caddis' aboard

Rockworm you can never have enough midges, plus that is an area I struggle to know the difference between the different stages seeing the different flies right next to each other will surely help

Fischa whatever you tie will be great

I am going to tie a little yellow sally group, probably a nymph, attractor nymph, a dry and well I am still figuring it out.

I am soooooo looking forward to learning from you guys with this swap

Thanks

C

Hey everyone... Sorry for the slow response. I am at a conference in the colorado mountains and have had a pretty difficult time finding any access to the internet.

I have received sets of flies from old hat and rockworm. They are both really beautiful sets.

Thanks rockworm and fischa for tracking down and sharing my addy with each other and crackle back.

Fischa the flies look incredible. I especially like the softie... Really nice

I am back home tomorrow evening... With the internet.

Thanks for your patience

C

My flies went in the mail today. Here's what I tied. Sorry for the lack of pics but I accidentally gave my camera a burial at sea.

Peacock and Peacock and Starling

Hook: TMC 2488 #20

Thread: 14/0 olive

Tail: Olive Mallard Flank

Abdomen: Stripped Peacock herl dyed bwo

Thorax: Peacock herl dyed bwo

Hackle: Starling

Tying note: Put a little head cement on the thread underbody to strengthen the weak Peacock quill

Roy Christie style reverse parachute emerger

Hook: TMC 103 #21

Hackle: dun

Thorax: Brown olive superfine dubbing

Abdomen: Tying thread

Tying note: It's tyed backward. Degrease your tippet and apply floatant to the hackle to make it ride front down.

CDC Dun

Tail: dun hackle barbs

Abdomen: Brown olive superfine dubbing

Thorax/Wing: CDC in split thread trimmed on bottom of hook

BWO Clyde Style

Body: tying thread

Wing: Starling wing quill sections

Hackle: Starling

Fishing note: Works best fished uptream

-Mike

Thanks for the Pattern description Mike. I've already put photo's/pattern descriptions up for my ties.

It would be great if the rest of you wouldn't mind following Mike/crackleback's lead and adding pattern descriptions for your ties to this thread.

I'll take photo's when I receive my swap flies and put them up with their descriptions for anyone that's interested? Just an idea?

Karsten :D

Sorry to react so late. My daughter had a lawsuit against her about non-competition clausules in the contract she had with her former boss. This took unexpected much time and energy from me. I will not be able to make it for the due date, but I can send them out end off the week. Then they wil take between 6 and 10 days to reach the swapmeister. I will then give the tyingreceipts!

Sorry again.

Sjo