Fly Tying
steelheadohio

sucker spawn materials

i use sucker spawn for steelhead down here in ohio religiously. i mostly tie them out of that mini glo bug yarn, but i was wondering what variations you guys do to make them more effecive and what other materials you guys use to make them.

thanks, maybe we could even make a "sucker spawn swap"...thats a mouthful! blink.gif

We had awesome success using sucker spawn tied with Diamond Braid. It's sorta a cross between a crystal meth and a sucker spawn but pink was working very well. That is actually what I used when I caught my 30 incher. cool.gif

Sparkle Yarn, Angora, Egg Yarn (micro and regular size). All yarns and material give a different effect. It is good to have them (sucker spawn) ties with various material.

Andrew

I use the Daichii 1120 heavy scud hooks for mine.

Another combo I somtimes use on my SS is to substitute the middle strip of yarn with a strip of diamond braid in a contrasting color. I like to do that with white/cream SS with the pink or orange braid. It's kind of close to what you end up with when you tie a bloods dot.

I use angora, and tie them on a Mustad 3399.

Size 18 to size 12. Paly Yellow has always been my best, then light pink.

I have a good supplier for buying yards of angora. More angora than you will use in 10 years of tying sucker spawns. If you interested let me know.

hey j. johnson, can you by chance post a picture of your angora sucker spawn...im just curius of what it looks like in comparison to my sucker spawn tied fro angora. mine dont seem to look like sucker spawn. also, is your angora 3 ply?