Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Winter fishing?

I was wondering if anyone was planning on getting out this winter to persue a warmwater species. I am determined to get a Smallmouth sometime this winter. I have always heard "slow and deep" when it comes to winter fishing but this creates quite a challenge for the streams that I fish. I'm thinking a fast sinking line with some type of baitfish imitation dunno.gif . When people say "deep" should I be looking for the pools of water with no current or should I still target an area with at least a moderate flow to it?

I hope somebody out there has cracked the winter code and would be willing to share some info.

Anybody else gonna brave the elements to try their luck?

While my sights often turn towards Ohio River wipers and stripers, I still fish smallies up till late December. Regarding where to look, look downstream from your best areas in the summer! Look for deep water and bigger pools - something over 4' deep with good cover and a break from the current. Undercut ledges on the outsides of creek bends are ideal. Then use a Troth Bullhead in size 2 to 6 and fish it on a type V sink tip using a 2' florocarbon leader. Cast upstream and let the fly tumble on a tight line back downstream. Hits will be soft.

Another good fly to use is a small white clouser - size 6 or even 8. I like to use arctic fox. Good imitation of a shiner. Same technique. Another cold water pattern that works for me is a casual dress in sizes from 4 to 8 - a good imiation of a cranefly larva. Dead drifted is mandatory with this imitation.

Right now the smallies are still pretty active. Two weeks ago I had a wonderful day fishing topwaters. The fish were in the tail-outs of pools holding in 2 to 3 feet of water. The bite started at 11 and from 11 till 2PM we landed 15 or so smallies to 16". All came to Dalbergs (red head, white rabbit strip tail) fished VERY fast! Even in December I can get some good action on a sunny day. So long as the water is in the 50's and not the 40's . 48 and below it gets tough and the fish don't fight as well - my sites turn to cold water species like white bass, wipers, stripers and Mad River trout.

Joe C.

SH, If you don't already know where the winter holes are take a spinning rig and a suspending jerkbait, use this to cover some water and help find an area that is holding some fish. Then once you know where they are go after them with the flys.

Winter bass are suckers for a dying minnow and will either eat the jerkbait or at least come up and follow it a ways and you'll get a look at him. Once you know there are a few fish present it will give you confidence in the area so you can stick with them.

On my waters I either find them on deep bluff banks with boulders, or in heavy wood cover out of the main flow.

The last 2 winters I have been able to catch a few even during the coldest periods on a #2 Deciever or #4 weighted Marabou muddler (weighted just enough to make it suspend or slowly fall) and fish them with erratic strips and long-long-looong pauses.

If there are largemouth and/or Kentuckys in the same area you will probably catch more of them in the cold water than Smallies....but it's all good...right?

The Deciever I use is here in the forum database somewhere, I remember putting it in, but can't find it now? (I may have submitted it to the gallery instead of the fly pattern database) If you find it, or any of my other entrys would you put them where they are supposed to be?

Anyway,...it is tyed on a #2 34007 stainless hook (that hook and the right proportion makes the fly suspend or sink ever so slowly) I tie them bulky at first then trim hair until I get the right sink rate. Chart/ white is the only color combo that I seem to need around here, but I have heard guys say they do good with an all black deciever w/ big yellow eyes during cold water times.

FW

Great info so far guys. I'm getting a mental picture of the stream I regularly fish and am picturing some spots like you guys have mentioned.

FW,

I did find the pic of the Deceiver in your photo gallery, I can add it to the database for you if you send me a materials list wink.gif

There has got to be more brave souls out there who have attempted cold weather fishing.

I've caught smallies all year long. However, I haven't caught one on a flyrod when the temps get below 50's. I use to fish spinnerbaits with big willow blades near slop that gets pushed up by the wind in lake corners. Just used to roll them really slow, enough to feel the thump of the blades and that was it. Caught a four pounder when it was 20 degrees out. I am going to try to develop some bass flies with lightweight spinners on them, I have seen the hardware, anyone already use these?

Ok Will, this is what I have always been told about winter fishing keep in mind that this is for trout. Use small flies sizes 26-32, fish deep, retrieve slow and when you think you are retrieving slow enough, retrieve even slower. Now my only problems with this is fishing deep. I always have a tendency of thinking if the air temps are warm wouldn't the fish move to the shallower areas where the water temp will warm up more and more quickly.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I caught about 2 dozen smallies last winter. All you need is an auger and a good long rod with a minnow imitation and slow jig it thru the ice.

Course I was fishing for perch and crappie. But hey..... if it works... it works. (I'm sure this is exactly what you wanted hear.) dry.gif

I had the same results as Fishagin, but also got the Crappy (largest fish of the day in a derby) and the Perch. To be honoust...I was with the TRAA on one occation and another local club, both derbies. If you're looking for big numbers or winning the derby...stick with bait. BUT if you want to see if it can be done with a fly...SURE. (I don't fish for meat...so it was a FUN experience.)

Fishing in Ky can offer a 1-2 punch on the smallmouth population depending on the style of waters you have.

We have several small flows that offer a nice way to drift some nymphs or big bodied minnow or craw(rabbit) patterns. The banded sculpin pattern can also be offered.

Will,

The way we have tied the Sculpin pattern(clouser) is kind of like the way you've tied the clousers in you Avatar.

Give those Sculpins a try clouser style, find an eddy and drag them....

Post the pictures....

Max.

My success on Winter Smallies has been in streams, on big flies, at least size 4, built in action like Marabou or Rabbit, Black, and moved painfully slowly in the deepest areas near woody cover.