Fly Tying
Graham

How to tie a Yellow Stone Fly

Great fly and you did a hell of a job...I have to tell you I copied and pasted every step for futher use...So thank you, I think these will be killers out in the waters...And I love the step by step, very nice and clear pics also..

Thanks again....

feathers

How did I miss this! I've been hoping you would post a step by step on some of those. Looks great.

Can't wait to give that a try....

Did you guy's see I posted 5 flys into the Pattern Database a couple days ago? I am thinking of doind a step by step again this weekend, couldnt decide which fly.

Great instructions...Tried (noticed I said tried) to tie this earlier, got everything nailed to the instructions but....the heating of the long nose pliers to bend the legs, well I have 2 flies here with a slight handicap, hehe, 1 has 1 amputated leg, and the other has 2...So as a customer was watching me do this, he suggested I amputate the other leg to even out the fly...Always a smart a** in the room...lol

Anyway after work, I will attempt this again and again, but thanks for the step by step instructions...

feathers

Hi Feathers,

I burned off a bunch of legs as well. I should have said "tweezers" instead of needle nose. I use the fine tiped DR Slicks. I hold the tips at the top of a bic lighter flame for 2 seconds. Try practise kinking some feathers before tying them on the fly. I also have a layer of either Softex or Flexament on the feather pieces which might insulate the heat??? Once the tweezer tips are hot I grab the feather where I want the bend and turn the tweezers 90 degrees in the desired direction. An additional drop of Softex on the kink will help make it permanent.

Good luck!

QUOTE (Toneloc @ Nov 10 2004, 12:40 PM)
Sweet Fly and step by step.....One question for you, where do you get the plastic at?

Tony

There is also a product called Scud Back.I also have used Ty-Par,the new express envelopes and a new product that I double up a few times to make it stronger.It is called Glad Press'N Seal.It has a sticky side that bonds to itself.I use markers to colour it then fold it over a few times to keep the marker from coming off and strengthen it.

Hey Daryn,

My favorite plastic is called Flexibody. I used to buy it from Fly & Field in Chicago but the stuff is no longer available. It came pre colored in about 12 colors. I have a bunch here but mostly in colors I don't use much and a few clear transparent ones. Yellow and olive were good as well as clear. The yellow stone I showed used clear Flexibody colored with permanent Pantone markers. Find a roll of the cling plastic used for oil change stickers, unprinted, basicaly the same stuff. Flexibody came in pieces 6"x2" and was on card stock, which made cutting easy, especially long straight strips. The card stock also kept the plastic rigid enough to make it easier to color with markers especialy if you want a different color just on the edge.

You ever tie any blood worms?

What type of blood worms do you mean?the blood worm midges or the blood worms that I harvest?

It is too bad that they do not make Flexi-Body any more.Maybe we should presure them and we might see"BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND,FLEXI-BODY".wHAT DO YOU THINK.