Fly Tying
tequilatrout

Fly Fishing in Minnesota - Little help

Hi

I'll will be in Minnesota next week on a trip for business and pleasure, I wonder if anyone could recommend me a stream or river near Bloomington, Minnesota 55425. I'm going to stay at the Ramada Mall of America. I saw that the trout season is open but only in some rivers, I'll never be in Minnesota before and any help would be appreciated, I have only one day to try to go fishing, also if you can recommend me some local Fly shops that would be great

Thanks in advance

I guess I can't really recommend any specific waters for you. The Driftless Area is the border area between Minnesota and Wisconsin and is SE of the Cities and has some nice trout streams, but it would be a little bit of driving. Other than that, there is all kinds of warmwater fishing in the Cities, but not sure about access for you without a boat.

As far as fly shops, there are two that I know are still around, but again would be a bit of a trip for you since you will be on the south-central side of the Metro. Bob Marshall's is on the east side of the Metro in Lake Elmo, and Thorne Brothers is way up on the north end of the Metro in Blaine.

Hope that at least gets you headed in the right direction.

Deeky

Deeky, NJFlyMAn, many thanks for your help, they told me that the Rochester area is also a good option, but I guess that I have to rent a car to have more options, my problem is that I don´t have much time

Im from the area and can point you in the right direction. What date do you plan on going fishing and how far are you willing to drive? If you can put in an hour or 2 of driving I can put you on some good water. unfortunatly the trout fishing options in the metro area are very limited if not non existent

Im from the area and can point you in the right direction. What date do you plan on going fishing and how far are you willing to drive? If you can put in an hour or 2 of driving I can put you on some good water. unfortunatly the trout fishing options in the metro area are very limited if not non existent

I'm going to be on Tuesday 19 until Saturday 23, I have only one free day, maybe Thursday or Friday, I can drive 1 hour or two, I'm not limited for Trout but I think that the only open season is for trout. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your help

I'm going to be on Tuesday 19 until Saturday 23, I have only one free day, maybe Thursday or Friday, I can drive 1 hour or two, I'm not limited for Trout but I think that the only open season is for trout. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your help

Panfish is open year round. You are correct about bass, walleye, northern, muskie. You would be fine chasing bluegills, sunnies, crappies, but not sure if they have moved in yet. They may still be holding out in the deep water - things just haven't been warming very fast around here. You would have to check with a local bait shop when you are in town for specifics.

Deeky

I was out chasing pannies in the Rochester area about a week ago. There were some in shallows but its still a bit early for them as stated above. I would probably recommend hauling down to the whitewater state park area. If you drive to the small town of ELBA there are 2 bars on the main drag. Take the road between them and follow the gravel back until you drive over the 2nd bridge. immediatly after the 2nd bridge there is a small parking lot. There is trail leading back west along a corn field. Follow it back until it hits the river and start fishing. If you need better directions shoot me a PM or email and I can give you more specifics. Bring some Midge and BWO patterns, also the grey caddis are just starting to come out and are very prolific on that stream. That hatch can really get em going. If you feel like exploring a little more, or dont want to make the drive that far south this website should help in the hunt. The area I am refering to is in the top left corner of map 8 and spills over into map 7

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_s...th_mn_maps.html

Many thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how things are going as soon as I get there

I forgot to ask you for traditional food :drunk:

I fished SE Minnesota for years. Best stream is the South Branch of the Root River. Near Preston, MN.

Although, they had bad floods there last year.

Its not too far from Rochester, MN.

sure thing, Let me know how you did. sorry that mother nature isnt cooperating in the least today

You were right, mother nature didn't cooperate at all, but I have a great time at Minneapolis and Saint Paul, I'm going to be back maybe on September or October

Many thanks to all of you

post-0-0-36013700-1308291500_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-89805200-1308291528_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-48244500-1308291547_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-13414800-1308291564_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-17951500-1308291583_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-61780400-1308291600_thumb.jpg