Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GerardG

easy start

Hello,

I am new to the forum. Hope this is in the right place.

I am looking for a few simple to ty flies. We started a new Fly-tying club in my hometown. In just 4 weeks we are up to 24 members. Now wehave a lot of people just starting out with fly-fishing and tying.

At the last two evenings we have made a red-tag and a zonker-streamer. For the starting fly-tyers we have made some nstruction sheets. Now I have the baby-doll printed out in a step-by-step manual.

Who has some step-by-step manuals for tying other beginner flies.

thnx Gerard

Two good books to have on hand are "Tying Nymphs" and "Tying Dries" by Randall Kaufmann. Those are a good start for the beginning group. I also have a few salmon/steelhead flies on my tutorial section. Just sign up one account and print them out. Then you can take them to the meetings, or simply pull up the screen if there is a computer handy where the meetings are. You have to sign up an account first at http://www.steelheader.net . Then, once you got that setup, go to Fly Tying Tutorials And scan and see if there is anything that interests you.

Sorry to inform you but that domain is expired

I am browsing de database now. It is hughe. Not easy to find the easy ones.

I gonne find them though

A few more ideas to look at are from Skip Morris. There is one on tying dries,one for nymphs, and a general one. They are available in a softcover spiral bound as well as paperback. They have a pretty good variety in each book as well as alot more recipes in the back.

He also has one for bass bugs if you like to go for warmwater fare as well.

All are well done with quite a few photos for each fly and how to fish suggestions as well.

Good luck and may your bookcase be strong for all your acquisitions to come.

Greg H. hit it on the head, fly Anglers On Line is a good place to get the fundementals. After that just be persistant in looking for patterns with pictured instructions. The internet has made books a waste of money in my opinion. A printer and a notebook makes it easy to produce a great custom tiers manual.

I'll second FlyFishingHeaven's choice.

The Fly Tying Bible would be my first pick for any beginner or seasoned tyer. Tons of step by step pictures on all the patterns.

Barnes&Nobles(www.bn.com) has it for under $20 headbang.gif this is a GREAT book to own!