Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Bonker Zonker

This picture is actually from before the accident. I was tying those for some high, muddy water conditions that was on the stream that I fish. I tried my "old faithfuls" without much luck and tied on one of these bad boys and I guess the combination of the bulk and that little bit of sparkle did the trick because I got into a few fish. Three days later was the accident and I haven't fished them since mad.gif

I do have a growing collection of sizes and color combos. I tied a Chartruese over white and it looks amazing. cool.gif

I'm still confused on the sink tip.....I'm guessing that this fly unweighted would be better than the lead eyes dunno.gif

Here are a few of the colors that I have been tying lately. I really like the look of the white over blue but don't know if the fishes will like it yet. As you can tell I enjoy tying this fly cool.gif

user posted image

They will probably make a great steelhead fly too. I need to do some big heavy bright flies for winter fishing and I think these should fit the bill. Nice job brother.

Charlie.

I have been using a fly like that for the big browns in Mossy creek here in VA. The colors that have been the most productive for me where all black, all white, and green with a black zonker strip. I also tie them with just lead wrapped around the shank for those times I do not nee dit to sink quite as fast

Will, any reason for using red eyes over another color?

I tie something similar with silver stick-on eyes on a small lead dumbell (and then heavily coated with Loon head). For the flash underneath, I spin angel hair/wing-n-flash in a wire dubbing loop and then wrap on.

These are great patterns for working deep!

-js

Whenever possible I like to use some red in my flies. Some people say red gives a "wounded" look that triggers a strike while others say it makes no difference. So in my baitfish patterns I use a little red where I can just in case it actually makes a difference. biggrin.gif

Hi Guys, i love this form but must admit I am not active. just something interesting about this fly in south africa. In South Africa this fly is called an MSP I would rather not translate what it stand for in Afrikaans, but the guys develop it over a bottle of brandy! And it is a very popular pattern for Largemouth yellowfish.