Fly Tying
TheCream

Jaws of the vise to jaws of a brookie

I wanted to try some Klinkhammer style flies on small stream trout this year. I thought they might be a good option for finicky brookies and bows in small streams. I tied several in pheasant tail, BWO, and Adams color variations before heading down this past weekend. Worked like a charm!

DSC_0513-1.jpg

IMGP2505.jpg

IMGP2499.jpg

Here in Michigan I tied a few flies that look almost identical and wow I was supposed at how many fish I took on them! Very productive pattren here in MI and i'm sure many other locations as well. Only downside was only had a fish lives in them until had to tie a new one on and let other one dry due to the parachute style.

A good brookie in the water I was fishing is anything pushing 10" or bigger, and I got a few to hand that were that range. I lost one about the size of the biggest one above on the Klinkhammer pattern, though. I had a branch above me and sidearmed the cast in, but had a brain fart and tried to raise the rod on the strip set. The rod hit the limb and I didn't get much of a hook set and the fish came off. :angry: