Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
burch

Looking for a 5 or 6 wt. rod

I was wanting some opinions on Courtland rods. The Pro Cast kinda caught my eye. I`m looking for a graphite/med. action/5-6 wt. 8`-9` rod. I spotted these at www.flybass.biz Anyhow, I don`t have the funds for a high dollar rod so any recommendations will be appreciated. The Pro Cast is 100% graphite/ hard chrome guides/ anodized aluminum reel seats and run $100. Probably low/mid quality but not a bad price for the perks. I`m now fishing with a Scientic Angler that has a plastic reel seat ( that`s right I said plastic :lol: )so i`m looking to get something a little better to fish with.

Burch

If you are looking for a good 5/6 wt rod under $100 dollars I would go with something besides cortlands. I have a 9 wt of theirs that is pretty good, but for the lower weights they are not that good. I just got a redington red 5 wt 4 piece fly rod that I love. They are 50% off from cabelas here is the link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redington-RedFly2-Fly-Rods/711138.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dredington%2Bred%26x%3D15%26y%3D12%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=redington+red&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

looking for a nice 8 foot 9 inch 5/6 wt, check out Fly Logic........you can get a good deal on Ebay with the Fly Logic stuff--first run stuff sold by a fly shop.......they also have a 8 foot 9 inch 4/5 wt.........nice sticks and they can throw a mile of line.......I use the 4/5 on most days that I am out and about.........nice roll casting and great at distance....I'm using Cortland Platinum 4 wt on the rod........there is a NEW 4/5 for sale on Ebay at this moment......not sure who is selling, but says new with warranty card......a STEAL-- it is started at 80 bucks and BIN for 100.......if I had an extra 100 sitting around, I would scoop it up

Including the Fly Logic rods that 2bonthewater mensioned what are some other good rods at the $100 mark in a 4wt.

Not under $100, but only a little more @ $110, TFO Lefty Kreh Signature rods are nice. I have an 8 wt that I like. Can't comment on their 4 wt, but if it's anything like the 8, then I would bet you would like it.

If you are looking for a good 5/6 wt rod under $100 dollars I would go with something besides cortlands. I have a 9 wt of theirs that is pretty good, but for the lower weights they are not that good. I just got a redington red 5 wt 4 piece fly rod that I love. They are 50% off from cabelas here is the link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redington-RedFly2-Fly-Rods/711138.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dredington%2Bred%26x%3D15%26y%3D12%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=redington+red&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I would totally disagree with this statement. I have a 3, 5 and 9wt. I had my 3wt for years and it was the only rod I had. I used it for trout as well as bass fishing. It broke landing a largemouth, after 13 years of use, so I sent it back and had it fixed for free. I still have it and it is my trout rod. I use the 5wt for smallies and panfish. For the price they are decent rods but always remember you get what you pay for. I had this issue recently when I was looking for a new reel. The TFO stuff is nice and well priced. I also have a 2wt from Cabelas that turned out to be a decent rod/reel combo. Just depends I suppose. O and just my two cents for what it is worth.

look on Ebay for an older St. Croix Pro Graphite rod........nice rods........same with the older Imperial rods made by St. Croix.........always good deals on those on Ebay..........