Fly Tying

Notice to Gallery Users

It’s a shame that the think that what makes this site so great is now on one of greatest problems

The amount of information, patterns and pictures that draws so many people to this site has started to overwhelm the sites bandwidth.

Just take a look at the (100 Top Fly Fishing Sites) of which this site is at this time Number 4, rubbing shoulders with the top commercial sites on the web which have very heavy sponsorship.

It hasn’t been too long since I ask the members to buy a raffle few tickets to help support this site and the response was wonderful, I also said the money would make it so that the web site could continue to pay its bills at least for a year.

Since that time the membership has increased 50% and the bandwidth has doubled

This is why I would like to ask the members of this web site to help by going through there unrelated pictures from the picture gallery, I am talking about pictures that are not about Fly fishing, fly tying, Rod building, or are not linked to any existing post or thread on this web site this will help save money for storage and somewhat help the band width with pictures being viewed with links from other sites and also EBay.

We would like to give our members the first chance to go through there own pictures from the gallery just incase there maybe a few that you want and haven’t saved to your own hard drive. At the end of this week the moderators will clear out unrelated pictures that do not meet this criteria.

Thank you from the management of FTF.

House cleaning is good. I have often wondered how much all the Fly Tying Forum bandwidth costs, not cheap, I’m sure. Perhaps now is the time to plan renewed fund raising activities such as another raffle, auction, etc. I currently believe you have to become a (free) member of FTF to view certain categories such as Fly Fishing Destinations. As a possible suggestion perhaps annual membership dues, say $12, to enable viewing of more valuable topics and information, would help financially. A buck a month is great deal. This site needs to be self-supporting, or it may disappear someday. I’m willing to help.

If Will could set up a Pay-Pal Donation link for the site,i'd have no problems with a $50 gift to the site or a Membership Subscription would work.

Brent.

you don't need to remove the Pictures just make sure that you have every picture in your gallery saved that you want before the end of the week .

the moderators will do the house cleaning.

unsure.gif

OSD.

so the moderators will be making judgement calls on whether or not the photo should stay, correct? As in all the doctored up photoshop photos are gone too?

john

John the deal is we are having some bandwidth issues with the site growing faster than any of us could have ever imagined (i think we have had 60 new members in the last week alone) so the managment here has been discussing what we can do without taking anything "away" from you guys.

There shouldnt be any big problems or any real changes but a few things such as the thumbnail pics and cleaning a few pics out of the gallerys are just a couple ways to address the problem in a way that is least problemactic to the membership as a whole.

Dont anyone worry we arent going to go through and wipe out all the galleries or anything of the sorts. The main thing that we will probaly be doing is just going through and deleteing some of the pics that we know were placed there by people that joined the site with their only intent being to use our gallery as a "host" for them and not to actually ever post or contribute.

So more than likely you may not even notice anything missing is what i'm saying, except for a few things that never really had anything to do with the site to begin with.

Sounds like a good idea. When I tried to get on the other day I got a message that said the bandwidth was too low and to try back later.

Setting up a page for paypal donations would be simple for the site. I would be willing to give a few dollars now and then, and I'm sure there's alot of other members that would do so also.

I think it's something the boards moderaters should look into. I know several other websites I frequant have paypal donation buttons, and they get quite a response. I personally give about 20 dollars a year to the insulator site I go to.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

How about an FTF donations web page? Here’s a suggested message:

Fly Tying Forum is a truly independent website which receives no commercial funding. We depend on the generous donations of members like you to keep our server online and cover our steadily increasing monthly budget. While FTF was once a labor of love, it has become a full-time job. There is no minimum (or maximum) donation. Even a modest contribution makes a big difference, so please take a moment to help us out. Thank you!

PLEASE READ: If you are a member of our popular discussion forum, we would like to place a small star next to your forum username to indicate that you are a FTF donor. This process is not completely automated, and the star may not immediately appear next to your name after you donate. Typically, we will give you a star on the next business day after you donate.

Donate any amount to FTF and you'll receive a FREE FTF Bumper Sticker!

Donate $30 to FTF and you'll receive an FTF Fishing Cap!

Donate $50 and get the special FTF T-Shirt!

To Donate, Choose Your Method of Payment:

A donation will be automatically charged to your credit card each month. Already a subscriber? Click here to increase your monthly contribution.

Make a One-time Donation by Credit Card

We accept VISA, MasterCard, and American Express. If you wish to donate using Discover, click the "PayPal" icon below.

Donate by Mail using a Check or Money Order

Donate using the PayPal service

IMPORTANT: We cannot give you a donor star or send you a bumper sticker unless we know your forum username and contact information.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT AUTOMATICALLY PROVIDED TO US BY PAYPAL. If you donate by PayPal, please send an email to [email protected] to let us know your information. Include your email, forum username, snail mail address, and the date of your donation.

I would go along with the idea of a donation, and quite frankly wouldn't care about getting a hat or whatever in return. If it comes down to it, I'll sell my hat on eBay; should fetch a ton of cash!!! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif