Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

Cortland lc13

hey everyone, i want to get the 30' roll of lc13 cortland line to get my flies down deeper, i use a 6 weight, does anyone know how long of a section i should be connecting to my foating line?

Thanks all.

Druce

y0 Druce, good to see you on here, hope you are well and the fishing is good!

I have not really used lc13, tho i have built shooting heads with the rio sinking stuff. For a 6wt about 200grains works really well (1st 30 feet of entire line) with a running line (which i think equated to about 24ft? This lc13 seems 13 grains per foot, so for 200 grains is about 15 feet - quite short, will be interesting), Are you putting it on a shooting line or your fly line?

These days tho i use a floating line but if i want them to sink at different rates i carry the airflo polyleaders and use them.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/polyleaders/polyleaders.htm

That way its like carrying many lines with me without having to change spools or reels, and not spend much.

:lol: hey FlyFishin'Jam, its good to see you up and posting, hopefully we will actually get to fish soon :lol: ! well in a perfect world my idea was to strap a section of the lc 13 with loop to loops on the end of my wf floating line, i dont really wana cut it or anything? i just want my fly to get down in some of the pools at this place that holds some nice walleye. Is this possible? i have taken a look at the poly leaders, the only problem is lc-13 is the only stuff i can get in town at the moment and i want those walleye tonight or tommorow! hahaha!

usually i se 3 split shots which isnt that bad on a 6 weight rod but it compromises the mono leader strength when you clamp the split shots on the line. and last night i had a nice one on and as soon as he came flying into the fast water he broke off and it was because the darn split shot had nicked the line.

thanks all

Druce

Lots of fishing going on over here, did a full day on Tuesday for rainbows near here, much success! Although a bit sore now.

Ahh with the lc13 if you are just making a section to add to your floating line i would probably copy those grain envelopes and lengths of the poly leaders, even a 4ft section is pushing 50 grains which is a 'super fast sink'. To avoid hinging while sinking i might use a nice heavy fly too. Anyway i would probably try a couple of lengths maybe a 4 and a 6ft section, maybe 8 too. Not too familiar with making your own poly leaders so hopefully someone else can chime in, but it seems this is a cheap and easy way to do it. I like needle knots when dealing with sinking lines as they do hinge at the loops, on the fishing end i needle a bit of 15/ 20lb mono and put a perfection loop to which i add my tippet of between 4 and 6 foot long to that the fly. Should be able to get right down there easy and plumb the murkey depths!

great info dude! i get 30 feet for about 12$ so if it fails its not to big a deal, i dont mind hucking an ugly cast out if im catching fish! hopefully this will work, i dont imagen that it will effect my cast that much if im using small lengths of 4-6 feet! :)

thanks again dude!

hehehe go get em'! and post some pictures of the results!

Just came across a nifty litte graph while googling as it seems a neat way to do this.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/images/TaperedSinkTipChart.pdf

i guess this is all relating to swinging flies...but

http://flyfishingresearch.net/calcemyourself.html

if you run a shooting setup 15 ft. will be fine, other wise use 4-10 foot sections. I use LC13 all the time with cortland braided mono to make a great shooting head setup. my 8wt. has 100 feet of braided line with a 22' Lc13 and I can cast the whole thing along with some of the backing. Great for getting down to the eyes in rivers for sure.

if you run a shooting setup 15 ft. will be fine, other wise use 4-10 foot sections. I use LC13 all the time with cortland braided mono to make a great shooting head setup. my 8wt. has 100 feet of braided line with a 22' Lc13 and I can cast the whole thing along with some of the backing. Great for getting down to the eyes in rivers for sure.

so wait, i can take a small section of the lc 13 and just loop to loop it to my wf floating line? the shooting line idea is gold but im trying to not have to take an extra spool for the shooting line, its hot out as hell and i try to fit all my needs in pants pocket. So if i where to loop on a 3 or 4 foot section would it work? if its anything like casting some split shot that isnt to bad.

Druce