Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyer166

east branch of the ausable river, michigan

is there good fishing here??? and what flies are hatching! haha i know nothing about this river

I can't help with fly selection but I can tell you that the ausable river is a VERY good river for numerous types of fish from trout to bass and even panfish. I live a little ways north of there and I can say that there is always talk here about the fishing on that river. Its a good bet you'll catch something no matter when you go.

Right now terrestrials any size, BWOs 14-22's, Isonychia 10,12's, caddis 14-18's, tricos 22-28's, white flies 12-16's that will cover the dry flies now for streamers if your going for the monster browns zoo cougars in olive or black leech patterns like double bunnys in black purple or olive or big sculpin patterns also for the browns fish at night with a large deer hair mouse nymphs my suggestions are copper johns, hares ears and ptns also for dries I always keep a few of steeldrifters yellow mattress thrashers on hand

is there good fishing here??? and what flies are hatching! haha i know nothing about this river

I used to fish the east branch for many years near the old Hartwick Pines campground. The sections that I fished were off the old hiking trail and off the scenic drive. It gets far less pressure than the other branches of the Au Sable but over a period of time it has become infested with beaver damns which has really warmed up the water and really slowed down the fishing. That stated, it has been some years that I have fished there due to this problem and this was about the only stretched that I had fished so I do not know if this problem has occurred throughout the entire east branch system or if it has been rectified. Now as to flies, riffleriversteelheadslayer gave a good list for this stretch and I would also throw in some ants and beetles into the mix. If you do go there please give us a report on the river conditions as I would be interested in the condition of this stretch.

Bob

I used to fish the east branch for many years near the old Hartwick Pines campground. The sections that I fished were off the old hiking trail and off the scenic drive. It gets far less pressure than the other branches of the Au Sable but over a period of time it has become infested with beaver damns which has really warmed up the water and really slowed down the fishing. That stated, it has been some years that I have fished there due to this problem and this was about the only stretched that I had fished so I do not know if this problem has occurred throughout the entire east branch system or if it has been rectified. Now as to flies, riffleriversteelheadslayer gave a good list for this stretch and I would also throw in some ants and beetles into the mix. If you do go there please give us a report on the river conditions as I would be interested in the condition of this stretch.

Bob

well i just got back and let me tell you, it was a disappointment. the brush is very overgrown not giving you a ton of casting room and the river is all full of beaver dams and the water is slower thaan my grandma. i tried all the flies that everyone on herte stated and all i caught was chubs, which is another indication that the water was warm. i, too was fishing about ten "road" minutes away from the hartwick pines area. i instead hopped over to the deward area and let me tell you. i caught 7 decent brookies and a few small browns and a guy down the river from me caught an 18 inch brown. so a good ending to the fishing trip. :)

Bob

well i just got back and let me tell you, it was a disappointment. the brush is very overgrown not giving you a ton of casting room and the river is all full of beaver dams and the water is slower thaan my grandma. i tried all the flies that everyone on herte stated and all i caught was chubs, which is another indication that the water was warm. i, too was fishing about ten "road" minutes away from the hartwick pines area. i instead hopped over to the deward area and let me tell you. i caught 7 decent brookies and a few small browns and a guy down the river from me caught an 18 inch brown. so a good ending to the fishing trip. :)

I am sorry to hear that. That section used to be very very good indeed. Like I stated, it has been many years since I fished that area and I have very good memories of many nice excursions fishing this stretch. Too bad. I am afraid that this will be the case of the east branch. With so many miles of prime water around the area, the main stream, the north branch and the south branch of the Au Sable and the Manistee there is very little chance of improving the east branch's conditions. Really too bad as it was a small gem amongst the big boys. The Deward area is one beautiful place for sure. Glad you did will there to make up for the east branch.

Bob

Bob

I am sorry to hear that. That section used to be very very good indeed. Like I stated, it has been many years since I fished that area and I have very good memories of many nice excursions fishing this stretch. Too bad. I am afraid that this will be the case of the east branch. With so many miles of prime water around the area, the main stream, the north branch and the south branch of the Au Sable and the Manistee there is very little chance of improving the east branch's conditions. Really too bad as it was a small gem amongst the big boys. The Deward area is one beautiful place for sure. Glad you did will there to make up for the east branch.

Bob

thanks alot for that information though. it was well worth a shot.

Bob

Bob

thanks alot for that information though. it was well worth a shot.

Ya, thanks for east branch report. It saved me an exploratory trip that I have been putting off for a few years. Again thanks.

Bob