Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

sault saint marie

Well everyone,

I am heading off to sault saint marie for school and will be in town about 10 days befor school starts, naturaly i want to get in on the salmon fishing on the saint marys river, salmon on the fly would be cool. But after seeing this video I want to use spinning gear, freekin salmon storm troopers these dude! this video was well done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERInPkT5OwE&feature=player_embedded

very nice walleye at the end really wouldn't mind hooking into a few of those in a trip.

Druce

its a cool video

but

i really don't understand why guys feel the need to shove their hands into the gill plate of a fish...

learn how to tail a fish.. or buy a net

What side of the bridge are you going to on? You can flyfish the rapids, if you go down there you will see alot centerpin fishermans and occasionally a spey caster. Last fall I flyfished the rapids for pinks and stopped counting at 50..That kind of fishing only happens every other year though when they run good, this year should be a down year but there will be a few around, along with kings, atlantics, and prolly a few other species.

Undertow

What side of the bridge are you going to on? You can flyfish the rapids, if you go down there you will see alot centerpin fishermans and occasionally a spey caster. Last fall I flyfished the rapids for pinks and stopped counting at 50..That kind of fishing only happens every other year though when they run good, this year should be a down year but there will be a few around, along with kings, atlantics, and prolly a few other species.

Undertow

my plan was to stay on the canada side as i have a ontario licence. I heard about every even year being good, but do they still run enough yearly that they are target-able? I have a 6 weight and really like that kind of light tackle so i wanted to target pinks as they seem to be catchable on a 6. On another note, are there trout on the st. mary's river? My new place is walking distance from the river and on my little bit of off time some bird watching and light fly fishing would be really nice. Thanks for the info undertow.

Druce

Undertow

my plan was to stay on the canada side as i have a ontario licence. I heard about every even year being good, but do they still run enough yearly that they are target-able? I have a 6 weight and really like that kind of light tackle so i wanted to target pinks as they seem to be catchable on a 6. On another note, are there trout on the st. mary's river? My new place is walking distance from the river and on my little bit of off time some bird watching and light fly fishing would be really nice. Thanks for the info undertow.

Druce

Hard to say what the run will be like this year, the first year me and my buddies caught hundreds when they ran, the following year we only heard of 3 getting caught, then last year when the run was good we caught over 200 in one day between 3 of us. This year who knows, Im sure there will be a few around in the rapids but not schools of 50 or 60 cruising by you like in a good year. A 6wt will be fine, thats what I used last year and it was a blast. Dont get to fancy with flies, I just tied all pink woolybuggers. Cast in front of a cruising school and 3 or 4 will break off the school and chase. Pinks are nice because they actually bite. There's lots of fish in the rapids, in late may early june the steelhead will show up and its not hard to have double digit days, just get there early and secure a spot, by early I mean 4am cause it can get crowded down there. In the summer the atlantics will show up, but being atlantics there finicky when it comes to biting. I know some guys flyfish dry flys during the hex hatch for them on the st. marys. Kings will show up in the fall also but your going to need at least an 8wt with a good reel if you want to try to land one, downstate in the Pere Marquette and Manistee rivers we use 9 and 10wts for kings. I havent made it over to try but there might be some smallmouth in the rapids during the summer. The rapids are about the best your going to get for flyfishing in the immediate area, the rest of the river is not flyfishable. Some of the bays on your side might be flyfishable for pike or smallies. If you head north and into area's like the Superior provincial forest or whatever its called you will find good brookie fishing, also just about all the rivers recieve a run of steelhead in the spring. The garden river on your side is great fishing but access is iffy unless your native. I've heard you can get on it upstream a ways but certain area's unless your native require a native guide. There's lots of water on yourside of the bridge and if you get out and explore, especially north you will find good fishing, I'd be over there exploring more if it was wasn't such a pain to cross back into the states.

Undertow

Undertow

Druce

Hard to say what the run will be like this year, the first year me and my buddies caught hundreds when they ran, the following year we only heard of 3 getting caught, then last year when the run was good we caught over 200 in one day between 3 of us. This year who knows, Im sure there will be a few around in the rapids but not schools of 50 or 60 cruising by you like in a good year. A 6wt will be fine, thats what I used last year and it was a blast. Dont get to fancy with flies, I just tied all pink woolybuggers. Cast in front of a cruising school and 3 or 4 will break off the school and chase. Pinks are nice because they actually bite. There's lots of fish in the rapids, in late may early june the steelhead will show up and its not hard to have double digit days, just get there early and secure a spot, by early I mean 4am cause it can get crowded down there. In the summer the atlantics will show up, but being atlantics there finicky when it comes to biting. I know some guys flyfish dry flys during the hex hatch for them on the st. marys. Kings will show up in the fall also but your going to need at least an 8wt with a good reel if you want to try to land one, downstate in the Pere Marquette and Manistee rivers we use 9 and 10wts for kings. I havent made it over to try but there might be some smallmouth in the rapids during the summer. The rapids are about the best your going to get for flyfishing in the immediate area, the rest of the river is not flyfishable. Some of the bays on your side might be flyfishable for pike or smallies. If you head north and into area's like the Superior provincial forest or whatever its called you will find good brookie fishing, also just about all the rivers recieve a run of steelhead in the spring. The garden river on your side is great fishing but access is iffy unless your native. I've heard you can get on it upstream a ways but certain area's unless your native require a native guide. There's lots of water on yourside of the bridge and if you get out and explore, especially north you will find good fishing, I'd be over there exploring more if it was wasn't such a pain to cross back into the states.

Undertow

undertow this info is golden,

I kinda figured the salmon run would be light this year as its an uneven year, but I was hoping to find some streams or bays, Im a student and i dont drive, i bike alot though, a 100km bike ride is not too much for me to get to a fishing spot so i hope i can locate some nice places. I guess I will have to explore.

just realised there where a few lakes less than 16 km from my apartment in the sault, very cool. Man there is a ton of creeks in this place. so0o0o0... if anyone wants to pm me or meet up in sault to show a guy like me around... :rolleyes: :P

Hi druc-bing from the west coast originally, pinks ar simple to catch. anything pink will take them. they sre expecting large amounts of them on the fraser river, provided dfo has made accurate counts, something they seem to have an inability to do accurately. i would try a pinkish woolybugger with flash.

your 6wt for pinks is fine.

marc

Druce, I forgot to mention that there is a flyshop in Soo Canada. The owner will probably be able to give you more info on the area's flyfishing. There is also a camping store and the owner will give you info also.

Undertow