Fly Tying

Hi,

I hope it is acceptable to rant in this particular forum.

I just returned from a 2 week stay near Yellowstone Park. It was a wonderful fishing trip.

I am sort of a "fly shop rat", so, when not fishing, I was haunting the local fly shops.

One afternoon, I was in the Trout Hunter in Last Chance. If you know the shop, I was in the upstairs where they have fly tying materials.

A young guide was complaining to the shop clerk (quite loudly) about all the fishermen he had seen that day and also how the fishermen he had seen didn't seem very capable. He went on and on about how "there's just too many guys out there fishing these days!".

Now, I would judge his age to be mid-20's. So, my first question is "how long has he been fishing"? Even if he started in his teens, he's only been fishing about 10 years. I have been fly fishing for 40 years and fishing for 50 years.

Second question: "What does he know about the 'old days'?". I've been fishing the Henry's Fork for 30 years and I do recall when there were many fewer fishers out there. He certainly can't recall that time!!

My last statement would be this: "The folks he is complaining about are true sport fly fishermen. They don't get paid for their day on the water. They are not making a living off the great rivers that belong to all of us. In fact, most are paying a lot of money to come to these wonderful rivers and fish. He, on the other hand, is sucking a living off our rivers." And, when I first started fishing out there, there were very few guides. Lawson's and the Trout Hunter were small guide operations. Now, each morning and evening the parking lots at both shops are full of drift boats and young guys running around with a bunch of flies hooked on their ball caps! That's the main reason there are so many more fishermen out there these days!

And, most of us who fly fish out there do not have drift boats. Many of us are in rental cars and perhaps only have one car without a trailer hitch. So, most of us do not float the rivers. The guides do. they take clients to the best water and put them over the fish. We all know there is a certain percentage of accidental kill of fish when hooked. It is my belief that given the number of guides and their use of drift boats, they probably account for more trout accidental deaths than any other source on the river.

Believe me, if it were not for Lawson's and the Trout Hunter, I am convinced there would be many fewer folks fishing the Henry's Fork. And, my conclusion is that those 20 something guys in Simms shirts with beards and flies on their ball caps would probably not be there either!!!

Forgot to give full disclosure. A friend of mine is a guide for Lawson and has done so for about 30 years. Also, I have used guides - even Lawson's guides. So, I think I am aware of both sides of the coin. My main gripe is that some of these young guides don't seem to understand the big picture and somehow think the rivers "belong to them" so they can impress clients and get large tips...........

Oh, almost forgot. I have a couple Simms shirts myself. Nice shirts.

I can not see how anyone with so little experience with only 10 years or less knows enough to be a guide..I didn't feel comfortable till I had fly fished for 30 years before I guided..And I learned from the masters of the sport..

I can remember when I first started fly fishing I was fishing a run on a river and unbeknown to me a guide had his client fishing about 30 yards above me. I hooked into a big fish and due to my lack of experience, I was applying too much pressure and not letting the fish run, the fish broke my tippet and swam away. I was so disappointed. That evening I was in a local watering hole drowning my sorrows with some other fly fishers when in walks the guy, I soon learn is a guide, and he sits at our table. During the course of conversation he looks at me and says you'e the guy who hooked into the big fish on the run. I replied that I was and he explained that he had a client fishing there and he watched me apply too much pressure and not giving the fish it's lead intially. He said he knew the fish was going to break off. I asked him why he didn't say anything to me and his reply was, "Because you weren't paying me for my services." I'll never forget that day. Alot of guides are guides strickly for the money, nothing else, and that is truly sad.

That ok Bro, I live here and all those young dumb asses are gone along with all the tourist fisherman. I've got all this lovely water to my self, well me and the other locals. You all can have the Ranch and Last Chance. Its not even the best part of the Henry's fork. I'm glad the yuong guides and tourist come, they spend and then they go. We need the money, its hard times these days and we'll take the money. THE best fishing of the year is right now and there's not one for miles on these rivers its hilarious! The big browns are stirring and gettin their sexy on, the cutties and rainbows are active storing up for a long hard winter and steelhead on the Salmon is just around the corner. I told a couple of friends that came out from back east that next year they should wait until late Sept to mid october and the weather will still be great and the fishing will be off the hook. I could go on about the subject but lastly I wanted to say that I totally agree with you one hundred percent~!

That ok Bro, I live here and all those young dumb asses are gone along with all the tourist fisherman. I've got all this lovely water to my self, well me and the other locals. You all can have the Ranch and Last Chance. Its not even the best part of the Henry's fork. I'm glad the yuong guides and tourist come, they spend and then they go. We need the money, its hard times these days and we'll take the money. THE best fishing of the year is right now and there's not one for miles on these rivers its hilarious! The big browns are stirring and gettin their sexy on, the cutties and rainbows are active storing up for a long hard winter and steelhead on the Salmon is just around the corner. I told a couple of friends that came out from back east that next year they should wait until late Sept to mid october and the weather will still be great and the fishing will be off the hook. I could go on about the subject but lastly I wanted to say that I totally agree with you one hundred percent~!

I know that now the fishing will get good, but I couldn't arrange for it. We usually fish the Fork below Ashton, but they were messing with the dam and the water was a still a little warm when I was there in early Sept. In July, it was one of the only places to fish.

Where do you live??

I know that now the fishing will get good, but I couldn't arrange for it. We usually fish the Fork below Ashton, but they were messing with the dam and the water was a still a little warm when I was there in early Sept. In July, it was one of the only places to fish.

Where do you live??

I live in Idaho Falls. Its on the verge of being too big of a city for my taste but heck its got the only Walmart with a fly shop in it LMAO. It does have a legit fly shop and a Sportsman warehouse for all my other outdoor needs. The Fork below Ashton is an amazing fishery for sure. there's also that section below St, Anthony for big browns, but heck the Snake has a bunch of monster browns living within its banks. Theres about 5 other kick ass rives within driving distance and dozens of little creeks to fish.

Where do you live??

I live in Idaho Falls. Its on the verge of being too big of a city for my taste but heck its got the only Walmart with a fly shop in it LMAO. It does have a legit fly shop and a Sportsman warehouse for all my other outdoor needs. The Fork below Ashton is an amazing fishery for sure. there's also that section below St, Anthony for big browns, but heck the Snake has a bunch of monster browns living within its banks. Theres about 5 other kick ass rives within driving distance and dozens of little creeks to fish.

Been to your Walmart fly shop - in the front of the store - right?

You also have a "Famous Dave's" What could be better?!

and where else in God's green earth can you fish with marshmallows and catch cutthroat trout in downtown

Or broke back rapala's for 20-30 pound browns! I've been workin on a suitable streamer to offer up to these river behemoths but so far they aren't liking what I have thrown.

Just because you call yourself a guide, does not technically mean you can GUIDE......

And just because you call yourself a guide, does not mean you are the most super awesome fishing dude on the planet.......

... Just because you are old, doesn't mean you know better than younger people

just because you have been doing something for a long time, doesn't mean you do it well

A guide is a teacher. One who, due to his time on the river, is able to convey to his clients where to fish, how to work an area. Theres alot more but this is a pretty fair and boiled down assesment.

Last year I hired a guide, whom I learned about from a forum member, for the Big Thompson at Estes Park and he was great! I took my wife's two adult sons out and asked the guide to spend more time with them... they had a great time and I didn't. I've only been at this a few years. But I was happy for them and the amount of time he spent with them, and they had never fly fished before. Like anything in life a good recommendation is worth a lot. Just having someone who fly fishes "guide" in my book is not a guide. A guide not only knows the area, but teaches, and their one goal is for their clients to catch fish. The previous year I lucked out and had one of the shop owners as a guide because his employee was hungover and never showed up... he got so excited with every strike and his enthusiasm was contageous. I will definately do my research before hiring a "guide" it is worth the effort.

- Charlie

Very well said........but you stole my JUST BECAUSE's.............ahhahahahha

just because you have been doing something for a long time, doesn't mean you do it well

Very well said........but you stole my JUST BECAUSE's.............ahhahahahha

It's "not just because I have many more years of fly fishing and years studying the subject by reading from the famous fishers and tiers."......or, maybe it is! My point really is not their age and few years of experience as much as it is that such a guide as I described (complaining about rivers being crowded with fishermen) has no right to complain as the rivers are not "his" for his money making gig.

Don't be too sensitive about not having a lot of experience though