Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Fall Run Pomps

Hit the water around 0930 with the captain on board, his built in wind sock indicated winds out of the north @ around 10 mph.

DSCF4236.jpg

He directed me to position the boat upwind of the mixed grass, sand bottom and fan cast the area. As we were targeting pompano, I dressed the part with my high dollar Permit pants.

DSCF4233.jpgDSCF4232.jpg DSCF4234.jpg

Wasted a couple of hours on small trout, plenty of trash and some unresponsive sheepies...And out to the Gulf for some more pomps in the surf. It was loaded with huge spanish slashing bait...followed the birds, lost about six flies on some drag melting runs, but then what do you expect with a 6wt and 12lb tippit. Still great fun to drift up to a boil, toss a shiney fly and watch axe handle size fish slam it. Fished a sandbar that funneld bait through a small trough, plenty of short strikes, follows and lost fish, added one more to the box and called it a day.

DSCF4238.jpgDSCF4243.jpgDSCF4242.jpgDSCF4244.jpg

Damn, you eat good over there!!

You need to buy yourself another rod and rig it with a little nylon coated strand wire and keep it in the boat for when you run in to those Spanish so you won't have to tie so many flies. Then again, not a bad way to clean out your box and get rid of some of those flies you never use, Lord knows I have plenty of those.

Kirk

Great pictures, beautiful fish and I like your dog! With winter just around the corner I suspect I may be turning a little green as well. Thanks for postiing this! :)

Those fish look like a load of fun to go after, and it must be cooling down a bit there if you needed to don the 'permit pants' :lol: lovely day out, cheers for the report - keep em coming!

Damn, you eat good over there!!

You need to buy yourself another rod and rig it with a little nylon coated strand wire and keep it in the boat for when you run in to those Spanish so you won't have to tie so many flies. Then again, not a bad way to clean out your box and get rid of some of those flies you never use, Lord knows I have plenty of those.

Kirk

;) They were less than beautiful, but damn if those swimming teeth didn't love'em. I have a large supply of uglies for toothy fish.

I had an 8wt in the boat, wasn't rigged and I couldn't stop myself long enough to fix it. Never leave the house with an unrigged rod!

Great pictures, beautiful fish and I like your dog! With winter just around the corner I suspect I may be turning a little green as well. Thanks for postiing this! :)

Just a tad nippy in the mornings, this is one of my favorite time of year. Old Rowdy is the perfect partner, always puts me on the fish and never complains about my lack of skill :)

Tight lines...dave

Awesome pics Dave, those pomps should eat nicely. I agree that this is one of the best times of year to get out. The weather has been pretty damn nice lately