Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lorney

Japanned Hooks

I am just wondering how to figure out if a hook has a japanned finish on it. I know there are different ways to blacken hooks but I have no experience in this area. I bought some Partridge blind eye hooks off a guy and he wasn't sure about the finish. He did say that they were definitly made some time prior to Mustad buying Partridge. So they are hooks made in the Redditch factory just not sure when. Did Partridge make 6/0, 7/0 and 8/0 blind eye hooks right up until Mustad bought them? Does Mustad still make these hooks today? I have done alot of searching on the internet and can't come up with much info at all. Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mustad no longer makes the big hooks I purchased some 3890's a while back they are a 5/0 I have not seen any since. Would like some more, most guys that are reshaping hooks start with a 3366 sproat hook they are bronzed and need to be Japanned after the process they make a nice hook. It's a fun part of the hobby but you can buy nice hooks for alot cheaper.P.M. me for the my japan method

Michael

Thanks Michael PM sent. The Partridge hooks I bought are CS6 Blind eye. He said they are Aldington & Hutchinson in 6/0 7/0 and 8/0. He said they were genuine British made Partridge of Redditch hooks made before Mustad bought them out. Does anyone know when these were made last and whether or not they were all japanned? I also picked up some Partridge CS10/3 Bartleet blind eye hooks in size 4 and 6. They seem to have the same finish on them.