Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Gator trout like Merkins too !

DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3086.jpg

I've been having lots of action lately in the Sarasota Bay area on Reds with my Merkin patterns, but yesterday this huge Trout slammed it and took it to a whole new level. I've certainly gotten my share of Trout on Merkins, but mostly I target Reds in shallow water.

Anyway, it was a long battle so I only took time for a couple of quick photos so I could get it back in the water. I didn't try to measure or weigh it, but my kayak is 28" wide at that point so this beauty was at least 30", and maybe 8 pounds or so. Can't say I really care about being exact, because I've never even seen a Trout this size before !

BTW, that's a full size Boga Grip there, not the smaller one.....

Fred

:D :D :D

absolute beauty of a trout, Fred. I think you may be being a little conservative with 8 lbs. I've gotten a few 30+ inchers on plugs but never anything even close to the size of your monster on a fly before. Must have been an incredible fight, especially in this cooler water when they tend to fight a lot better.

Thanks guys ! It was a fine fight, 15 minutes maybe. At first I couldn't figure out what I had. It didn't feel like a Red, although it peeled off line like one. It rolled a couple of times like a Trout, but when I saw how big it was from a distance I thought it was a Snook. I NEVER for one minute thought "Trout" because it was way too big.

Anyway, most fun a guy could have standing up....er, sitting down !

Here's a pic of the fly, which has been awesome for Reds....

DSCN3081.jpg

Are the claw feathers tied flatwing style?

Just one feather on each side of the bend concave side out. Sometimes I don't even bother with them and I can't say I've noticed a difference in the catch rate.

:D