Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j76nj

Working with EP-Ultra Brush

Greetings,

I found my way here a few weeks ago. I started tying again a few months ago after a few years away. Lots of good advice. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I attended the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ last week. While I was there, I met Enrico Puglisi and watched him work with the EP-Ultra Brush 5" and some markers to create a bait fish imitation. He made it look very easy. Its basically a yarn body wrapped with the ultra brush. I'm struggling with the ultra brush though. Has anyone worked with this material? Any tips?

It looked like he tied in the ultra brush near the shank and wrapped it forward. I did not notice how the ultra brush was oriented on the hook. Do you wrap it similar to hackle on a wooly bugger or does it lay flat? I pretty much get a tangled mess, which tells me that I'm doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

jay

go to www.epflies.com - it is $20 bucks a year to become a member. Shows you tons of patterns, how to tie with all his materials, videos, everything you need. Also a new fly pattern is added every month

Dubbing brushes are a great material to work with whether Enrico's or your own homemade ones. When you wrap a brush especially one with long fibers, the fibers laying back kind of lag behind and twist around the shank. You simply have to preen these fibers out either at the end of the tying sequence or as you go along. I use a heavy bodkin that I made out of a 4 penny nail glued in to a handle as well as a dog brush (the one with the many tiny wires). I use the bodkin for picking out fibers that get bound down, usually after the fly is finished. I use the dog brush as I'm wrapping the brush; you make a wrap and while holding tension, use the brush to stroke everything back.

Kirk

With the EP brushes, if you just use your fingers to pull all of the material to the back of the fly as you wrap it you shouldn't trap any of the fibers.

go to www.epflies.com - it is $20 bucks a year to become a member. Shows you tons of patterns, how to tie with all his materials, videos, everything you need. Also a new fly pattern is added every month

I've wondered something that maybe you can answer. Are the videos better quality than his youtube videos? If the wind noise doesn't drive you nuts the volume fluctuations will. If you're going to shoot demo videos outside take precautions to ensure quality. I've been thinking of joining but not if the quality is the same.