Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Striped Bass Single Flat Wings

Love these flies to imitate peanut bunker up to adult bunker, herring, ect.

I strip them fast letting the single feather work with erratic movements in the water

Single Flat Wing Flies

post-36479-0-07618600-1329531320_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-73141700-1329531325_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-05128300-1329531331_thumb.jpg

post-36479-0-06748900-1329531339_thumb.jpg

Love these flies to imitate peanut bunker up to adult bunker, herring, ect.

I strip them fast letting the single feather work with erratic movements in the water

Single Flat Wing Flies

Very nice! You may want to try and have the flat-wing a bit longer...the BT will prevent fouling(especially with a short shank hook). The longer flat-wing will also have a sexy slither.

Sean

Thanks man for the comments. I like the longer hackle as well but for me the shorter hackle has different movement. I like shorter hackle for certain times and longer for other. I made these with shorter hackle on purpose.

I agree with surfbunker to have the flatwing longer. They have a very nice action. I have found that the smallmouth love them here. I took my be ever on them this past year.

Kevin

Tying flies is all about the tyers preferance. There is no wrong or right way to tie a fly. We all know that. Certain situations call for certain patterns.

Tying flies is all about the tyers preferance. There is no wrong or right way to tie a fly. We all know that. Certain situations call for certain patterns.

There is most certainly a wrong way to tie a fly....its to tie the fly that catches more fish than me...LOL!!! :)

lol, you are def correct on that one surf! When do you guys generally get your spring run of Striped Bass? You catch em in April? I think this year with the warm weather the bass should be by me (Eastern Long Island) in the creeks and bays by april sometime.

lol, you are def correct on that one surf! When do you guys generally get your spring run of Striped Bass? You catch em in April? I think this year with the warm weather the bass should be by me (Eastern Long Island) in the creeks and bays by april sometime.

Usually don't see SB in the Hudson( other than year-round schoolies)until end of april at the earliest usually 2nd week of May they get going. I usually hit CT around the first week of April for some serious Schoolie action on a certain CT river. It is Striper "games" all the way. A few years back my late friend Frank D. and I caught and released 156 schoolies in 8 hrs. It is awesome. And its all fishing off docks, so no having to take frigid spring waves.

No, No, No Joe! Those are absolutely terrible! You need to just get rid of them! :(

But, tie up about 2 dozen more & send them to me & I'll dispose of them for you! :rolleyes:

:lol:

Thanks for the info Surf - you come to longisland for any type of fishing?

Tide - lol, just let me know what you want and I would be happy to send you a few prototypes!

Tide - lol, just let me know what you want and I would be happy to send you a few prototypes!

I used to have a yearly rental for a 1 1/2 months in "M", I'd spend the entire time down there fishing( and maybe a little drinking...LOL) I now primarily poke around LI. I try to hit the Conney once or twice a year to fulfill my F/W quota. This year gonna go back to my MA/RI/CT runs,but will be in LI and the MET. NYC area prolly in spring.

I used to have a yearly rental for a 1 1/2 months in "M", I'd spend the entire time down there fishing( and maybe a little drinking...LOL) I now primarily poke around LI. I try to hit the Conney once or twice a year to fulfill my F/W quota. This year gonna go back to my MA/RI/CT runs,but will be in LI and the MET. NYC area prolly in spring.

BTW, when I post about good spots, I put clues in my post, so if you look closely I reveal where it is. This is to avoid "googan"s reading one post and heading to the spot and prolly ruining it...LOL!

Thats awesome SURF! I do the same lol, just a little different coding system. I would love to fish with ya man. There is not many people as into or as hardcore regarding the fly fishing run. $hit I could jump on a ferry to Conn and meet you over there, fish for a day and have a few drinks. I always look for people to fish for because I usually call someone the night before and say "lets go man, the fish are biting, the tide is at 4am" then they decide to back out. I mean in the summer I work a daytime job then I work on the fishing boats from May until Novemeber but I get some time off here and there and I am totally fishing! I dont mean to intrude on you at all, just letting you know if your looking for a hardcore guy that will be anywhere in the tri state area, thats me! :ph34r: - I also have a feeling I can learn some good stuff from you, you have very good insight on the fly fishing world.

Joe, I'm sure by now you know I'm kidding! You tie some fine looking flies! Nothing wrong with any of them!

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it sometime. For now, I wish you could send me about 6 months of work free fishing time. I could use that more than flies! :D

Of course I do tide! I always know your messing around, thats why we get along so well on this site. Just do me one favor, make sure you put a bend in a rod this spring and summer!