Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Gary LaFontaine's Halo Emerger Mayfly

Hi,

I have been looking at LaFontaine's '93 book "TroutFlies - Proven Patterns". Anyway, he said this 'odd' looking fly was one of his well-proven patterns.

Below it, I was thinking, if that pattern worked, why wouldn't this loop wing pattern work too (second fly) - it will sure float!!

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

What if you added some Z-Lon or sparkle emerger yarn under the tail to resemble the shuck? Then shorten your tail some.

Or, just send me a dozen to try out. :D

Is the foam just to help with floatation? Does Gary say why that's added?

What if you added some Z-Lon or sparkle emerger yarn under the tail to resemble the shuck? Then shorten your tail some.

Or, just send me a dozen to try out. :D

Is the foam just to help with floatation? Does Gary say why that's added?

Am sure that is why he added the foam. Good questions. The reason I didn't use a trailing shuck on mine is that I was trying to stay somewhat in Loop Wing style. Pretty good suggestion though.

Thanks,

Byron

Checked his book again. The foam was also to represent the "halo" effect when the emergent dun first breaks the shuckal husk and he claims it releases a gas which appears as a white aura around the thorax....................

Byron,

That is another beautiful fly! Could you tell me what kind of foam you used and how it was cut/tied in? And is there any explanation for the red wing on the original?

Thanks,

Mike.

Thanks. I think he chose the color for attraction.

The foam is just a thin strip which is figure eighted at the thorax. Then each side is doubled over and tied to the shank.

Does that help?

Byron

Thanks. I think he chose the color for attraction.

The foam is just a thin strip which is figure eighted at the thorax. Then each side is doubled over and tied to the shank.

Does that help?

Byron

Thanks. So if I understand correctly the foam would sort of look like a sideways figure eight when viewed from the front of the fly?

Checked his book again. The foam was also to represent the "halo" effect when the emergent dun first breaks the shuckal husk and he claims it releases a gas which appears as a white aura around the thorax....................

Ahh, yes. The halo effect makes sense. Like frozenhold said, add that one to the database. I'd love to tie up a few. Looks really good.