Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

I need to plan a trip

Townsend is a great place (alot different then florida). I've been up their 5 times and had a blast. Mostly caught smallmouths and redeyes but did a bit of trout fishing as well. If you do go up their and take a break from fishing I would check out Cades Cove. Cades Cove is beautiful and full of deer and bears. We usually go through cades cove several times during are trip. Where ever you go I hope you catch some fish.

1330995869[/url]' post='497571']

I have fished Fontana lake for years but have never fished for trout in the area. You may be interested in fishing for trout at hazel creek. It is about a 2.5 mile boat ride from the dock at Fontana dam village, nc. Portage fees are about 20 bucks and you give them a date and time that you want picked up. This is supposed to be excellent fishing for brown and rainbow trout. Like I said, I've only fished the lake for smallmouth but reports from others have been spectacular. It is truly a wonderful and scenic place. Fontana lake is easily the most beautiful lake I have ever been on and this is saying a lot as I live on lake Cumberland and have lived next to norris lake, tn. Good luck!

I've been kinda following this thread and I have to agree with the above area. I spent several days fishing the streams on Fontana and had a blast. The fishing wasn't out of this world but I was there mid summer and activity was typically in the AM. You might need to consider taking the boat mentioned above in and staying a night in one of the backcountry campsites for a night though if you want to make the most of your time. There are also several great streams located in Dupont state forest with campsites available or along the foothills trail in the carolinas which follows the chatooga and has several nice tributary to the lake as well. The fishing in the area you want to go to is great and being willing to hike a few miles makes a difference in the quality. If you want bigger fish I'd add the Davidson in Brevard, NC which has nice improved camping but is much more technical compared to many rivers. Hope that helps.