Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SSMinnow

Noob tier

I just counted how many flies i have tied. A total of 15. Most of them are with yarn, and some feathers I have picked up from the yard. I am very new to this. I don't have a nice vise, or bobbin yet. And unfortunately my ties are made from regular sewing thread. (I am putting in a order for thread and bobbin tomorrow tho.) Below, I will provide a link for my very first deer hair fly on a size 10 Mustaad hook. I would very much like your criticism to help me become a better tier.

1.) I could tell i used too much hair when spinning it on.

2.) I think i should trim it alot more.

3.) I think i should have used more tail material.

This is my 15th fly ever tied, but first with deer hair. Sorry for the poor quality pic, but its the best i can do with my phone.

My link

Watch as many of the "masters" as you can...you tube is an excellent place to see some great tiers like Hans, Davie MacPhail,and a host of others. If you can't have someone sitting with you to teach you step by step, than being able to rewind a piece of video is nice.

It is hard to see exactly what you have going on there but any tie with a pair of Channel Lock Pliers proves you are interested in the art of tying. Save those first flies, don't fish them or toss them or anything. Come back every year and see just how far you have progressed...I think you'll be amazed what you see...Keep at it! ;)

First off, your fly will still catch a fish and thats what its all about so well done on that. :thumbup:

That looks reminiscient of my early attempts at deer hair. Can't say I'm all that improved as I don't tie that style enough for any proficiency.

I would say that you need to pack the hair on tighter. When you spin the first bunch use your nails or I use a piece of plastic that has a notch in it that sits on the hook shank and allows me to really push the bunch tight towards the bend. Keep pressing the next bunch tight towards the hook bend and I normally can get 5 or 6 pencil thick bunches of hair on last 1/3 of a size 16 hook without much difficulty.

With everything fly tying I've had to discipline myself that I can always, well nearly always add more material if needed but using too much to start with nearly always ends up looking crap.

The shaping of the hair is the bit I still struggle with and again it comes down to just not tying enough of this sort of fly. I'm fishing in Orkney (Scotland) this year and muddlers are highly recommended so I plan to tie up some and will use a batch of cheap hair I've got to waste on practice with shaping and styling.

Like yourself, I'm very new to tying (2.5 months) and so far I've tied over 200 flies ranging from different materials. To me, what I've found out is, this hobby/skill is very addicting, but I find it. Very relaxing to almost zen like (lol).. I'm the type of person who is very impatient, the kind of person who wants results now (or better yet yesterday). But when it comes to tying flies I can calmly sit for as long as it takes to tie one tiny fly.. its to the point that I upgraded to a mid value rotary vise and am constantly ordering items from stockard..I have to laugh, my wife calls it "arts n craft" time, and my 5yo daughter grew an interest in it also.. my advice to you (newbie to newbie) is ask a lot of questions, the ladies and gents on this forum are very eager to help and search the internet, u will find a gazillion videos on youtube on fly tying and they help...good luck

I agree with Chagz, slowing down and taking your time over each stage is important. The amount of flies I have that I have rushed the last stage and ruin the effect. They still catch fish and I've found the scruffier the better is often true. But we're all aiming to tie the fly that a fellow fisher would be envious of or beg to borrow. I've started now, especially with my dry flies and streamers to tie the first couple of stages in 3 identical flies then come back to them the next day or later that day. Untill I can discipline myself better, it stops me rushing them.

Thank you very much for the great advice.

I would say that you need to pack the hair on tighter. When you spin the first bunch use your nails or I use a piece of plastic that has a notch in it that sits on the hook shank and allows me to really push the bunch tight towards the bend. Keep pressing the next bunch tight towards the hook bend and I normally can get 5 or 6 pencil thick bunches of hair on last 1/3 of a size 16 hook without much difficulty.

Thanks for tip. I found a video on you-tube for this.

its to the point that I upgraded to a mid value rotary vise and am constantly ordering items from stockard.

I just put in an order to them today. :D I can't wait to get my first bobbin and threads!

I agree with Chagz, slowing down and taking your time over each stage is important. The amount of flies I have that I have rushed the last stage and ruin the effect. They still catch fish and I've found the scruffier the better is often true. But we're all aiming to tie the fly that a fellow fisher would be envious of or beg to borrow. I've started now, especially with my dry flies and streamers to tie the first couple of stages in 3 identical flies then come back to them the next day or later that day. Untill I can discipline myself better, it stops me rushing them.

This sounds like me. I will have to learn more patience.

First off I must admit that is a very creative vice set up. Being new to tying flies myself I will tell you those flies will catch fish use your creativity to tie your flies. Check e-bay for your fly tying needs there are some very good deals out there on vices, tools and materials. good luck and have fun.

Delta Dave :rolleyes: :lol: