Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

Come On!!!

Hello,

I had been wanting to try my hand at some Glo- Bugs and finally got some Hareline Flo. Orange egg yarn, I tied some that were fishable (after a lot of trial and error). But when I went to go use em later, I found that after being in the sunlight for only about ten minutes they had turned a light chartruese color with an orange dot in the middle. It had a neat look, but not the right thing for trout, though it just might work for steelhead. I did a few tests and found that the whole darn package would change color if left in the window sill.:angry: But anyways, has anyone had this happen to them? Or maybe I just got a defective package.

Thank you,

Carson LeBoeuf

send it to me, the trout are loving that stuff here..I have some fl. orange dubbing that goes green in the water and the fish love it. I tie it on a small jig 1/80 oz.

Direct sunlight will bleach most dyes a lot faster than you might think. (just take a cheaply printed photograph and put it on the windowsill for a day or two and watch the results) If your material is drastically changing color rather than just fading, my guess is that it was dyed with a combination of colors, and one color is fading faster than the other. Either that or the yarn was dyed with a dye that's unsuitable for that type of material. Either way, you're better off keeping your flies and materials out of direct sunlight when they're not in use. BTW - you can get some nice bronze peacock herl by putting it on a windowsill until the color changes - just keep an eye on it.

Sorry Sandyflyx, but I think I'll keep the yarn for some monster slabside crappies here in California, they just love orange and chartruese.B) As for the color change, I think your right Peterjay about it being died mutiple colors.