Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

How does he do it!!!

Ok so I am not a camera expert. I was handed down what I think is a good camera (Cannon G7) and I am still constantly reading the manual and learning the ropes. In addition to the camera, I also bought a "photo-tent" with several lights, backdrops, etc. Its been pretty good when I am feeling ambitious enough to set it up.

In any case, onto the question. I follow a tyer "Thomas Harvey" aka Carolina Fly. His flies are innovative, fun to tie, and work.. In any case, I am super jealous of the photos he takes with presumably a much better camera then mine. Nonetheless, maybe you folks can help me out and shed some "light" on it for me. Photo he posted online below. ohh yeah..Pardon my pun :blink:

IMG_0019-6.jpg

And another that was actually in Hatches I believe (or at least on the site)

IMG_0431.jpg

I'd say a shallow Depth of Field (DOF) and a focused spotlight or a light with a snoot to focus the light,(go to this link and scroll down, there is a picture of one with a short description) http://craigdugdale.blogspot.com/2010/10/studio-induction.html. I'm not saying he uses this product or even this method but I suspect it may be the case. You can make one yourself with a sheet of dark construction paper rolled in to a cone and tape to your light. They are sometimes used on the off camera flash unit or can be put on a fixed lighting source.

Either a dark background or the shallow dof can accomplish the dark background but you don't want much background lighting in the room (turn the overhead room lights off). Did you try emailing him and asking. I'd be interested to know exactly how too.

You may be able to get similar results with your camera set on Macro setting and putting a cone on a shop light and use a tripod.

Kirk

Just to echo what Kirk said about a tripod - if you're not using one, you can do everything else right and you'll still be screwed. Why don't you post some pix and we can do some brainstorming. (Or is it brainwashing?) Don't be bashful, we're all friends here and the chop-busting will be minimal. (the two things I never joke about are photography and kitty litter) BTW - the camera you have is fine. It's a tired old cliche, but it ain't the camera - it's what's behind it.

Thanks guys for the responses! I am using a small tri-pod as I quickly figured out it was VERY necessary. I've been busy guy over the last few days, but plan on messing around with camera a bit soon. Ill post up some pics and take any advice on things to do to make it better :unsure: