Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taxon

What's your favorite insect hatch to fish?

QUOTE (daryn smith @ Dec 29 2004, 09:10 AM)
I also like to fish the Stonefly hatches, Damsel and Dragons are cool, as you can see I'm realy not into Mayflies. I do like fishing Nymphs and Emergers and find they are very productive. My home water contains Browns, Rainbows, and Speckeled.
I prefer to fish for them with large Streamers as there are some huge Browns that are so fussy that a Dry Fly at most times might as well just stay in your fly box.

Daryn-

I am surprised to hear of your aversion to mayflies. Do you know of Patrick Donoghue? It is my impression that he has very good luck fishing a Light Cahill Parachute toward the end of September.

Hi guys sorry to butt in but could not resist, great topic smile.gif

I must enter my bid and thats the Black Beetle a good allrounder. tongue.gif

Easy on the Latin "Taxon" I'm only an Ozzie. blink.gif

1 for Beetle hatches

2 for Mayfly hatches

5 for Caddisfly hatches

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in the following states, provinces and Countries:

Washington (Taxon)

Michigan (steeldrifter)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc and mcfly)

Nova Scotia (Daryn Smith)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia [smuggler] ph34r.gif

Cheers cool.gif

And no i am not a bait fisher, just can't work the profile changer. bugeyes.gif

QUOTE (Smuggler @ Dec 29 2004, 11:49 AM)
Hi guys sorry to butt in but could not resist, great topic smile.gif
I must enter my bid and thats the Black Beetle a good allrounder. tongue.gif
Easy on the Latin "Taxon" I'm only an Ozzie. blink.gif

1 for Beetle hatches
2 for Mayfly hatches
5 for Caddisfly hatches

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in the following states,  provinces and Countries:

Washington (Taxon)
Michigan (steeldrifter)
Utah (nightfish)
Australia [smuggler] ph34r.gif

Cheers cool.gif
And no i am not a bait fisher, just can't work the profile changer. bugeyes.gif

Smuggler-

Not sure what you mean by butt in, but that couldn't be further from the case. Thanks for updating the stats. This has turned into more fun than I had anticipated.

It’s great to hear from down under. Is it really true that the trout swirl in the opposite direction down there? I’m just kidding, of course!

However, I can’t let you off the Latin hook all that easily. I assume we talking about Riffle Beetles, right? They’re the long skinny ones that look somewhat like free-living caddisfly larvae in their (beetle) larval stage. Or perhaps you fish them in the adult stage?

QUOTE (Taxon @ Dec 29 2004, 01:57 PM)
Not sure what you mean by butt in, but that couldn't be further from the case.  Thanks for updating the stats.  This has turned into more fun than I had anticipated.

It’s great to hear from down under.  Is it really true that the trout swirl in the opposite direction down there?  I’m just kidding, of course!

However, I can’t let you off the Latin hook all that easily.  I assume we talking about Riffle Beetles, right?  They’re the long skinny ones that look somewhat like free-living caddisfly larvae in their (beetle) larval stage.  Or perhaps you fish them in the adult stage?

Hi Taxon

Well the trout swirling in the opposite direction is true and that makes them harder to fool down under. He he

The beetle I have here is a big black to fire red or orange and in Tasmania they can be green, yellow or orange.

Some are classed as gum beetles and the black ones hatch from fields and blow like hail stones over the water during the night. Some nights you just must wear a helmut. The fish mop up the beetle in the film.

It is exciting sight fishing, the trout smash the fly off the top like it was a macca's burger.

A Red Tag etc have a look at this site http://www.flyworld.com.au/view/navigation/123

My Entomology book is at home, I love reading them but cannot grasp the Latin. Just finished 7 days of nightshift as we speak so I am headed home now and will fish the weekend on the lakes. Theys are starting to fire and then I am off to some mountain streams in feb, for some hopper/dun/beetle time . tongue.gif

As Arnie said "I vill be back" bugeyes.gif

Checkout our Forum you may be able to give us some pointers. http://www.flylife.com.au/forum/default.html

Cheers cool.gif

"Smuggler" ph34r.gif

I'm going to chalk up another vote for brown drakes. Being in Ohio where "most" of our water is a barren wasteland for stream trout I mostly fish Michigan and Western PA and enjoy that hatch in both states despite the relatively short window of opportunity to fish them.

After that,,,,, it's just about a draw between the Hex and sulphers. love the night and excitement of fishing for beastly fish in the dark but I'm also attracted to those lttle yellow flies that come off like popcorn that will pull up high teen trout! oh, and you find them almost everywhere there are trout!

I won't name the waters but I have a two hatches I fish religously here in B.C.

On the flow I fish the SalmonFly/Hopper hatches(they overlap), and on still waters it's the chronimids! Is there such a thing as a spey hatch? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (fishinlk @ Dec 29 2004, 09:55 PM)
I'm going to chalk up another vote for brown drakes. Being in Ohio where "most" of our water is a barren wasteland for stream trout I mostly fish Michigan and Western PA and enjoy that hatch in both states despite the relatively short window of opportunity to fish them.
After that,,,,, it's just about a  draw between the Hex and sulphers. love the night and excitement of fishing for beastly fish in the dark but I'm also attracted to those lttle yellow flies that come off like popcorn that will pull up high teen trout! oh, and you find them almost everywhere there are trout!

fishinlk-

Okay, another tally for mayflies.

QUOTE (tattooedtrout @ Dec 30 2004, 02:11 AM)
I won't name the waters but I have a two hatches I fish religously here in B.C.
On the flow I fish the SalmonFly/Hopper hatches(they overlap), and on still waters it's the chronimids! Is there such a thing as a spey hatch? biggrin.gif

tattooedtrout-

Okay, one tally for stoneflies, one tally for hoppers, and one tally for chironomids.

QUOTE (getholdofjoru @ Dec 30 2004, 12:03 PM)
Terrestrials!

getholdofjoru-

This is how the tally stands at the moment:

3 for Mayfly hatches

5 for Caddisfly hatches

1 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

3 for Terrestrial hatches (1 Beetle, 1 Hopper, 1 unspecified)

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Washington (Taxon)

Michigan (steeldrifter)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

British Columbia (tattooedtrout)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Yes, we do have a lot of hatches here. But there's some I wish we had, like the big Hexagenia's. But I guess I can't complain. We fish year-round, and there's a high likelyhood of topwater action every day. Here's a link to a hatch chart for my home river (at least the one I'll tell you about ph34r.gif ):

http://www.utahonthefly.com/entomology/charts/provochart.htm

I too love terrestrials, and my starter and go-to pattern is my Hi-Viz foam beetle from early spring to the first hard frost, but caddis are still tops with me. Last summer I was on the Teton in Idaho. The bushes and bridges were covered in caddis, and that evening the action was VERY good! There's just something about drifting/twitching a caddis in the last light of the day that does it for me. Maybe because fishing an EHC was one of the first times I had real success fly fishing. And in my opinion, an EHC is the very best pattern for a newbie to fish (given the appropriate season). The pattern fishes well with sloppy drifts and bad mends, as well as with a perfect presentation.

Smuggler, I'd love a chance to flush a trout the wrong way! Hell of a drive though.

I'm sure there are a lot more of you hatchmatchers out the just looking. How about hearing from more of you? It would be great if we could get at least one response from as many locations as possible. So far, it appears Pennsylvania has the most fly fishers with at least a passing interest in aquatic insects.

Great thread guys!

I'm not sure you can judge interest by who posted. I have come back to this thread at least 8 times, just to soak up the info! cool.gif You finally guilted me into posting.

Here in Michigan, most of us don't get the chance to fish flush hatches more than a couple times a year. Even at that many of our streams simply do not have large populations of free rising trout. Many times a strong hatch is met with only passing interest by a few fish.

Last year during a spinner fall of very large Hex's, I stood in the drift line and filled my hand with bugs in a couple seconds, yet only a few small fish were feeding sporadically on the thousands of meaty chunks available. Getting them to take an imitation was a matter of blind luck. The next enening (no spinner fall wink.gif ) dozens of fish in the same stretch slashed at emerging caddis in the film. A swung wet fly took these fish.

To answer the question, I guess I prefer to fish during Caddis activity, most times with wet flies.

QUOTE (Airhead @ Jan 1 2005, 03:17 PM)
Great thread guys!

I'm not sure you can judge interest by who posted. I have come back to this thread at least 8 times, just to soak up the info! cool.gif You finally guilted me into posting.

Here in Michigan, most of us don't get the chance to fish flush hatches more than a couple times a year. Even at that many of our streams simply do not have large populations of free rising trout. Many times a strong hatch is met with only passing interest by a few fish.

Last year during a spinner fall of very large Hex's, I stood in the drift line and filled my hand with bugs in a couple seconds, yet only a few small fish were feeding sporadically on the thousands of meaty chunks available. Getting them to take an imitation was a matter of blind luck. The next enening (no spinner fall wink.gif ) dozens of fish in the same stretch slashed at emerging caddis in the film. A swung wet fly took these fish.

To answer the question, I guess I prefer to fish during Caddis activity, most times with wet flies.

Airhead-

Confessing guilt is good for the soul.

This is how the tally stands at the moment:

3 for Mayfly hatches

6 for Caddisfly hatches

1 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

3 for Terrestrial hatches (1 Beetle, 1 Hopper, 1 unspecified)

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Washington (Taxon)

Michigan (steeldrifter, Airhead)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc, mcfly)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

British Columbia (tattooedtrout)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Here in east Tennessee on the mountain streams hatches are sporadic at best. I like fishing them when the yellow sallies are about in june when it's t-shirt weather! Don't even get me started about the freestoners i used to fish when I lived in Pa. ... God I miss those prolific hatches sad.gif ! bugeyes.gif

A.A.