Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimboha!

What is this tool???

Howdy,

I bought a Fly Tying Tool Lot and it included thus "tool". I have no idea what it is or what it is for. I still got good value from the lot with or without this piece, but I hate throwing it away at least until I know what it is.

post-37740-0-09403000-1344235327_thumb.jpg

It is about 5" long (1" square square section, 4" rounded rod, with 1/8" wide slot about 3/8" deep, with red thumb set screw.

Does anyone have any clue to the identity and purpose of this piece? Surely you used to have something that this was an important part of!!

Biggest thanks.

Jimboha!

That takes me back a bit. The only person I've ever seen using one of these is Chris Helm. The shaft goes into a vice clamp and it is placed to the left of his vice (it would be to the right for a left handed tier). Then a comb is held tynes upward in the vice. It is used to remove the under fur from deer hair before stacking. Chris explained that he can cut the hair remove the under fur and get it into a stacker without changing his grip on it. He said that "Changing the grip affects the hair, it should be handled as little as possible". (That was at the Chatsworth Angling show about 20 years ago.)

Those not being readily available this side of the pond, and not having the facilities to make my own I simply drilled two holes in the middle of a double sided nit comb and screwed it to the edge of my bench. As I don't do that much deer hair work rather than use wood screws I set two 2BA nuts in the edge of the bench and used set screws so it was easily removed and re fitted.

Cheers,

C.

[EDIT] Don't throw it away! If you don't want it I'd be interested in purchasing it.

That takes me back a bit. The only person I've ever seen using one of these is Chris Helm.[snip]

Craickaig is spot on. More recently, Kelly Galloup uses one of these as well in his videos, although I do not know if it is the exact same manuafacturer.

All right, thanks guys. I certainly would not have guessed that! I saw the narrow slot and could not imagine how that could attach to anything. It did not occur to me that you would attach something (like the comb) to that spot. (And that probably explains why there was also a deer bone comb in the lot.)

So, the rod part (the shaft) attaches to a separate vise clamp - not to the vise rod/clamp?

I do tie with deer, elk, and bucktail a fair amount, so I'll give it a try.

Crackaig - I never throw anything away, being the inveterate pack rat (to the chagrin of my wife). I shall contact you if it doesn't work out for me. (Which side of the pond are you on? My experience is that people who refer the pond in that way are on the other side... from me.)

Jimboha!

Unfortunately the far side of the pond in Scotland. That's why those are so difficult to come by here. We don't have the huge number of people tying bass bugs etc, so there isn't the market, as they say. Hope it works out for you. Play about with the set up for it until you are comfortable with its placing.

Yes you will need another vice clamp for it.

Cheers,

C.