Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Standard Peak vise jaws

I purchased a Peak vise for students in my beginner tying class. When I attempted to mount a size 2 hook in it, it just refused to hold it. It was a saltwater hook, so I tried sizes 2 and 4 trout streamer hooks and got the same result. Everything I've read about this vise indicated that a standard size 2 hook could be mounted in the jaws. Is there something I should know about? Needless to say, I am not very happy about this.

Intresting, I have the peak vise and with the standard jaws it will hold everything from a #18 to a #4/0 for me. Have you tried contacting Peak?

I have a peak vise too and have used it successfully up to #2/0 so far. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I would contact peak.. maybe there is an issue.

I purchased a Peak vise for students in my beginner tying class. When I attempted to mount a size 2 hook in it, it just refused to hold it. It was a saltwater hook, so I tried sizes 2 and 4 trout streamer hooks and got the same result. Everything I've read about this vise indicated that a standard size 2 hook could be mounted in the jaws. Is there something I should know about? Needless to say, I am not very happy about this.

Have to go home and try this on the ones I bought. They have worked so far on conventional hooks up to #6, but I have not tried any stainless steel hooks in them yet.

Is this the rotary or non-rotary Peak vise, out of curiosity?

Have to go home and try this on the ones I bought. They have worked so far on conventional hooks up to #6, but I have not tried any stainless steel hooks in them yet.

Is this the rotary or non-rotary Peak vise, out of curiosity?

It is the rotary version.

I know this is basic but did you check the screw behind the jaw to make sure it is adjusted right?

No, but I'll give that a try.