Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Stanislaw River

Spent the morning and early afternoon trying to catch fish on the Stanislaw River in Oakdale, California. I say trying because I was not catching many. The fish were hitting, but for one reason or another ... well, here's the story.The river is beautiful, cold and running strong.

I caught several of these fish, I don't know what they are. I think they are fall fish, or some other type of chub. Sorry for the quality ... I took these pictures, other's got away before I could snap the shot.

So then comes the "trying" part. I also caught two trout. Since I am not sure of the smaller one (6"), I think it was a brook trout (bright red coloring down the side?). The larger one (10"), was definitely a rainbow. I hate using barbless hooks, but it's the law on this stretch of the river. I managed to get both of these fish to hand, but while fumbling with the camera, both manage to slip the hook.On the plastic worm pictured above, I hooked a beautiful brown trout (I know that one because I caught a couple of them years ago in Wyoming) that took off for one more run when I reached for it. It found a submerged branch and wrapped the line around it not once, not twice, but three times. I tried to get it off, but it slipped the hook also.

So, pretty river, pretty fish ... Hate my first experience with barbless fishing ... Although true, nothing but fish stories about the trout.

Yes, it's a gorgeous river. Almost makes me want to move here. It flows through Oakdale where these pictures were taken. Oakdale is about 40 miles due east of Stockton. Maybe 90 miles due east of San Francisco.

I might have to give that one a shot, I'm over here in Central California, near Fresno. But hey, at least I'm right at the feet of the Sierra's! Oh yeah, on that unidentified trout, was the red streak on its gill cover? Or did it have a thin reddish-pink stripe along the lateral line with dark black barring?