Fly Tying
flybone

fall bassin'

Wind, overcast, but the bite was there. Small pond with a few bass in it, turned out to be the right choice. Too windy to take the boat, so we decided to practice our fly Roddin' down at a friends pond. Flipped a few poppers searching for some pan fish, with no luck. Even tried some nymphs with not a single strike. Then I saw it. Wasn't big, but it was definitely a bass. Funny, I didn't bring any bass flies, but I had been keeping a few saltwater flies in my bigger fly box. Deceivers! Black and white with a little blue and green holo flash. First cast, didn't even strip before he took. He swallowed it! Bout 2 pounds. After 30 minutes I had three. All weighing at least 2lbs. Wind picked up and we called it. Great fun on a slow fall day! Now I have to tie some more for bass. Who knew?

Streamers of any kind, like deceivers and clousers for bass ... hard to beat when you know the bass are there. There are noiseless flies, which doesn't make them good search lures, but if you're sure the bass are there, then the old rule applies, "bigger baits for bigger fish".

I am using them more and more for search baits too, but I just can't build my confidence in them when I know a topwater will bring them from several feet away.

I agree. topwater is the most fun, and helps when locating fish. Nothing would look at floaters yesterday. I am fairly new to fly fishing. I remember catching panfish with Acardo bluegill specials, and miss prissys with my father when I was a kid. I am 33 now and have only been tying for about 7mo. Fishing with sinking flies is a challenge, but I am happy with my progress.considering I have no one to teach me. Here in the south, fly Rodding is still considered weird. But I am hooked.