Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Flatwater Trout Hopper-Dropper Swap

SWAP STATUS

Saturday was the due date. I have received 4 sets of flies of 6. Another set is supposed to be delivered by 'Brown' tomorrow before end of day, and the last set might be here by Tuesday.

My own flies are only 3/4 done... A little too much time on flies for another swap, and designing a special fly for yet another. Scuds are done, and 6 Hoppers are done less deer hair, but I think I have to tie some more. For some reason I just can't get my pheasant barb legs to behave. I'll keep trying, but if they look a little crooked, then just pretend that the fish you just caught did that!

So, I think the date for packaging these up for their return trip will be Wednesday 16 Jan. I will keep you informed.

Jimboha!

ALL FLIES RECEIVED!

With UPS and USPS deliveries today, I have received all of the flies! I want to thank you all for making the effort to get them hee on time. And they are mighty fine flies, too. I'll try to grab a few photos tonight, but at this point I should be focusing on getting these guys back into the mail...

...As I mentioned, my flies aren't quite ready. I planned to finish them tonight, but my eyes aren't working so good today. I only had a light case of the flu this year, but it seems to be taking forever to go away. That probably explains why I just couldn't get mine done. That may also explain why some of my flies look pre-fished...

I had been contemplating switching over to either a scarlet stimulator or perhaps a foam hopper - other 'hopper' patterns I'll often use. Let me make one more run at the Dave's Hoppers. If they don't turn out (and I really don't have time to keep tying more), I'll switch. But I promise to have them in the mail tomorrow after all. Any later is inexcusable for a swap master and I fear you would fire me as swap master...

Jimboha!

For the record we can't really fire you... You still have all the flies :P ;)

For the record we can't really fire you... You still have all the flies tongue.pngwink.png

Hmm, that's true... I do have some hostages, don't I?

But I think I have another solution to get everything out tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Jimboha!

FLIES ARE AWAY!

With my job at risk, I burned the midnight oil and got them ready for shipment! I'll b dropping them off at the post office on my way in to work, as soon as I finish this post.

I did finish the Dave's Hoppers, but some of them really aren't up to my acceptable standard, though I know they will still catch fish. If I felt that the one you received was particularly deformed, then I included another fly, a Klinkheimer Special. Ok, ok, so I gave EVERYBODY one. The klink floats well, but may not be able to support the scud in rough water, but then this is supposed to be a flatwater swap anyway.

Tracking information

Via USPS:

Ebrant10: 9400109699939468590358 https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699939468590358&qtc_senddate1=&qtc_zipcode1=

Dezod: 9400109699939468593991 https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699939468593991&qtc_senddate1=&qtc_zipcode1=

border collies: 9400109699939468593007 https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699939468593007&qtc_senddate1=&qtc_zipcode1=

eugward : 9400109699939468589116 https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699939468589116&qtc_senddate1=&qtc_zipcode1=

Different carrier:
spinninBugs: UPS 1ZY8A7999044169799 http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes&loc=en_US&tracknum=1ZY8A7999044169799

Lastly:
andre_tb22: Sent via USPS First Class International w/o Delivery Confirmation;

Customs form #: LC363029176US

Thank you.

Jim

Jimboha!

PS I chose to complete and mail off the flies, over taking photos of the recent arrivals. I still have some (mine) that I will try to photo and post this evening. But you will all be seeing them soon, anyway.

Here's the rest of the photos:

post-37740-0-16245400-1358321473_thumb.jpg

spinninBugs' Hex emerger and Frenchie nymph.

post-37740-0-75942100-1358321477_thumb.jpg

EBrant10's Joe's Hopper and Wet Black Ant

post-37740-0-76844700-1358321483_thumb.jpg

Eugward's Stimulator and Prince Nymph.

I'll be making room for all these in my fly boxes. And, thank you to those who sent extras! I always like to have two of a pattern in case it starts working so good and I lose it in a bush. And I really like the crawdad pattern.

And so you can know, I got andre_tb22's address and his flies will be winging their way to Montreal tomorrow!

Jimboha!

You're welcome - everyone. I enjoy tying and working out logistics. Fun!

I also like actually fishing but we are in the middle of a bitter winter spell (for us). The temperature was hovering just above 0F (-20C) this morning and has been like that for over 2 weeks. With these temps, nothing is fishable. Maybe some ice fishing, but it's really hard to hit that little hole with the fly rod...and then sink to the bottom. I normally enjoy the season we're in and don't pine for another - but I want to fish!!!

Anyway, according to the tracking information, it looks like spinninBugs will get his flies first tomorrow. The rest of the US deliveries should happen by Friday. I have no estimated date for Andre_tb22 up in Canada - depends too much on customs delays.

Let me know when they start appearing.

Observation:
Most of your 'hoppers' where generally smaller than what I use. I do fish lakes more often where the fish aren't near as picky, and I catch a lot of fish with the big hopper (up to size 4!). For rivers the larger size might only work sometimes.

My strategy though is to splash down a BIG bug - the trout races up to investigate and either hits it, or waves off. On his way down, though, he sees a tasty scud (or whatever) and just takes it on the return, or sometimes comes back up to hit it. Of course, the hopper also serves a strike indicator.

If I'm fishing dries in tandem, I put a larger, bushier fly in front for visibility - though again, it is chosen to also elicit strikes. I then use successively smaller flies spaced 2'-4'. The end fly is often #18 or #20 and black - so the train of larger flies points to the last one. So some of your patterns in this swap might be enlisted in one of my trains...

Actually, I rarely fish more than 2 on a fly rod, but will often string 3 (or occasionally 4) flies with a spin rod/casting bubble arrangement. It is very difficult to prevent wind knots with more than 2 flies on a fly rod. I did 5 one day on a spin rod, but even that got too unwieldy to both cast and to watch for strikes - I did it just because Idaho allows up to 5 hooks on a line.

Connections: I use a Davey's knot (http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2006/06/field-streams-guide-basic-camping-and-fishing-knots-now-more-new-kno?photo=1) on my hooks, and a forceps (see youtube video below) to attach the dropper to the bend of the hopper, successively smaller tippet. I have lost fish on at least a couple occasions (once when I had TWO fish on) because the dropper connection on the curve slides down to the barb and allows the hopper hook to come out easier. And I've felt that sometimes I don't hook the fish for the same reason. But in general the multi-fly arrangement works great!

What are your experiences/techniques for tandem (hopper/dropper)?

Jimboha!

Here in Delaware I am limited to three. I have used a #6 royal wulff as a the top fly.

Flies arrived today Jim, this will be an asset this summer! Nice work on the Daves hopper also!

Evan

Evan,

Thank you for the compliment, but I am not proud of them... I think I was rushing them because I was out of time. Anyway, hope you enjoy them all and thanks for being in the swap! (I also liked your Joe's hopper - looks just like Dave's but without the legs and grizzly hackle instead of the deer hair head: I think I'll tie up some of them, too.)

Jimboha!

Anybody else get theirs? According to the tracking info, all of the lower 48 flies have been delivered, border collies in Alaska expected today. Andre, any news?

Jimboha!