Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Jackson Hole, Wyoming Guides

I have to go with the wife for a conference in Jackson Hole in June. I typically avoid her conferences but I thought this one might be different. I plan on fishing while she is in the conference. A cool guide that likes to fish, laugh and doesnt get offended by a few beers would be preferred.

I have to go with the wife for a conference in Jackson Hole in June. I typically avoid her conferences but I thought this one might be different. I plan on fishing while she is in the conference. A cool guide that likes to fish, laugh and doesnt get offended by a few beers would be preferred.

I was asking for recommendations and forgot to type it in. Thanks in advance.

I have worked with World Cast Anglers a few times in the Jackson area. They were a good group of guys and I enjoyed my experiences with them. I would call them. But in reality you shouldn't have trouble finding a good guide in that region - just contact one of the reputable shops and they should be able to hook you up.

I had a great float trip on the Salt River near Alpine (~ 1 hour from Jackson) with Dave Barber (http://www.jacksonholeflyfishingtrips.com/Jackson%20Hole%20Guide.html) last August. Great hopper fishing for Snake River Cutthroats. Don't know about the beers but he is a great guy.

Any guide that allows his clients to drink while on charter needs his head examined. Its not a matter of being offended, its called liability; most reputable guides will carry insurance and as the guide you are held responsible for your clients safe return.

Now, when you get back to the dock or the charter is over, pop'em open and drink till ya drown.

Kirk

Be aware that you will have SNOW MELT conditions in that area. Discuss with any guides the possible- probable river conditions, that will probably be bad, and alternatives they may offer. You might check into the Firehole etc in Western YNP. Don't want to be a drag but I work in the NE Yellowstone area and we don't see stream fishing until Mid-July most summers. We usually visit the Tetons in early July and mostly hike and bird,m the rod stays cased.

Again work out alternatives before agreeing to book!!

Thanks guys. I've thought about the snow melt as well and it was one of the many reasons asking for a reputable guide. As for the beer I was being flippant when I made the comment although I do love it. I would like a guide that doesn't mind a little celebration at the end of the trip. I see nothing wrong with it and generally pack a few in the cooler. As for liability, I don't want to do anything to endanger ones safety or career and won't. I have been on numerous guided trips and in my opinion if you want the guide to have as much fun as you then you generally have a good trip and sometimes make a good friend from my past experience. Sorry if I offended anyone, I guess I need to be more conscientious and detailed in my posts.

Kudu, I wasn't offended, I was just trying to enlighten those and yourself that may have thought a guide in the past was offended at the drinking of beer. Granted, there are those so opposed to drinking that could be offended but the liability may be something some or most don't realize and think that the guide is being unreasonable.

When I was guiding for Big Red Guides back in the 90's, I had a couple that broke out some vodka; I didn't think it was very smart considering it was drizzling and in the upper 30's but I didn't care that they drank. Then I told Capt Bubby, the owner operator about how dumb this couple was for drinking in such cold damp weather. Well, he thought it was dumb too but then he gave me a good lecture on his liability and told stories of clients that he had to ask them to put away their alcohol.

The best story was about one client that got argumentative about not being allowed to have a Jack and coke while fishing. Bubby in his calm but meaning-business kind of way told the guy that if he didn't put the bottle away, he would head back to the dock right then and there. Bubby told him he would be glad to help him drink the Jack back at the dock at the end of the trip but when on the boat it would be fishing only.

Kirk