Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Learning a pattern

It amazes me sometimes when I am learning a new pattern how much smaller a size 18 is than a 16...probably the hardest size step down I run into.

I seem to be just the opposite. I can tie a bunch if size 18's of 20's and then put a size 12 hook in and it looks huge and I have a harder time with it. Its all in keeping the right proportions no matter what the size. Take Care, Tony

I agree. In the Mustad sizing, which is/was the de facto standard (used by most hackle gauges), the jump between 16 and 18 is a bit extreme. For smaller flies, I generally gravitate toward other brands for this reason. Lately, I've been using the Orvis 4864 Big Eye hooks for my smaller flies.

Here's a comparison of the Mustad 94840 in #16, #18 and #20 interspersed with the Orvis 4864 and the MFC 7000 dry fly hooks. Notice that the Orvis #18 has about the same hook shank length as the Mustad #18, but the gape is bigger, and that the MFC #20 is almost the same as the Mustad #18 (slightly shorter shank, slightly bigger gape). Obviously, this photo is several times actual size....

IMGP2585_zps71166edc.jpg

Interesting. I tie primarily on TMC and Gamakatsu hooks. TMC for my small trout stuff, Gamakatsu for warm and salt. The only exception really is the Gamakatsu drop shot hooks for certain stonefly nymph patterns.

Orvis hooks are just TMC's I beleive... You just pay more for those nice packages and the brand name "Orvis".

That drop from 16 to 18 is a killer for me as well; 18 to 20 isnt as bad. I usually begin a new pattern on a 14 or 16, get a feel for it, then tie a half dozen or so in each size i am likely to use. I then go back, examine them, and look for my inconsistencies. Any that dont meet my standards get stripped and tied again.

18s are bad for the 1st fly, sure. By the time youve tied the 20th, theyre alright!